260 ackley or 260 terminator

bsnyder

So I'm kinda stuck between which one to go with. I have a 260 now but I can't get any velocity out of it. It's crazy accurate but no velocity. For example I was running the 130 Berger's and 6.5 staball at a blistering speed of 2397 no accuracy if I do my part is a true 5 shot half minute group. Go up in charge weight it opens up beyond .75 moa. This gun is a factory 700 mountain it has been bedded and a trigger job. This will be a hunting/rock chuck/steel plate gun. I'm not worried about fire forming as I have a Sherman caliber already and two more in the works. I want to stay with the same action and bolt face and just rebarrel it. Thanks for your input.

So I'm kinda stuck between which one to go with. I have a 260 now but I can't get any velocity out of it. It's crazy accurate but no velocity. For example I was running the 130 Berger's and 6.5 staball at a blistering speed of 2397 no accuracy if I do my part is a true 5 shot half minute group. Go up in charge weight it opens up beyond .75 moa. This gun is a factory 700 mountain it has been bedded and a trigger job. This will be a hunting/rock chuck/steel plate gun. I'm not worried about fire forming as I have a Sherman caliber already and two more in the works. I want to stay with the same action and bolt face and just rebarrel it. Thanks for your input.
What powders have you tried already? You should have the powder capacity to propel the 130 Berger faster than 2397 FPS. As with anything else, YMMV.

ADDED:

Factory ammo from Berger >>> https://bergerbullets.com/product/260-remington-130gr-hybrid-otm-tactical/

Even for the 135, you should be able to generate faster velocity than you posted >>> https://bergerbullets.com/pdf/260-Rem-135gr.pdf

Attachments

• .260 Remington 135 Berger load.pdf
    345.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
H4350 is your friend with the 260 140gr should be high 2700's. RL 17 I hear gives good speeds also. NOW...if you plan on stepping up to the above mentioned, my 260 Terminator gives 3070 fps with a 140 and 3170 with a 130 OTM w/ RL 26.

A "buggy whip" factory barrel,,,,,, .3/4" ain't too bad. That skinny thing 'll heat up in no time. A combination "hunting/rock chuck/steel plate gun", it's not. And, that's the problem with "combination guns", they do a mediocre job. As for your velocity/accuracy problem, you probably haven't used the proper powder or primer combination yet, and you've not found that accuracy node. But again, it's a 'hunting' rifle, good for a shot or 2 and then cooled to ambient temp. Repeated shots will only make that thin barrel walk. A custom barrel of that contour won't make a "combination gun", either.

I have tried n560,rl,26 H4350,6.5 staball,imr 4064, rl 16, this barrel just seems to loose its accuracy as soon as you get or 41 grains of pick your powder. That why I'm wanting to rebarrel and sense I'm at it I might as well pick a something new and different to play with. I know it's not the cartridge more than likely it's barrel and it's a 9 twist which does me no good with all the new fun Bullets out there. So I was thinking fresh start.

To add on obviously I would change barrel contours and bottom metal. Among other things. I like to tinker so I enjoy the journey. In fact when I was looking for barrels I was just thinking about giving benchmark carbon a try. One last thing on the current 260 I have been running Norma brass I never did try lapua.

B8947545-BF3B-4351-8456-8070B4FA58DC.jpeg

I will presume that you are a meticulous cleaner.
Is the bore tough to run a tight, dry patch though?
If yes, you may a rough bore.
You might try a Tubbs Bore Honing kit to polish up the insides.
It's a pretty simple simple process, just follow the directions.
It is less expensive than a new barrel for a general use gun.
You can always get another barrel later.