257 Weatherby - Barrel/Cleaning issues

Not saying this is your problem, just an interesting subject to comment on. Long before borescopes, a local accuracy shop told me about a gun that was brought in and it was gouging the brass. The owner was very meticulous with the gun and it looked pristine. That is until further inspection revealed the chamber and the bore were rusted and pitted. After a thourough cleaning and the rust removed, it was determined that it would be very difficult to clean due to the roughness of the bore. Another was a gun that was meticulous but was key holing at 100 yards and occasionally the bullet would not make it to the target. Suspecting the problem inspection of the bore revealed terrible pits and craters. The owner was in denial due to the fact that he always ran a patch of oil through before zipping up in a case and put away. Might be good to get a borescope and inspect before buying a used gun or even a new gun that has not been cleaned properly.

Some of those fluffy gun rugs are nothing more than humidity traps. Had a nice little 22 start to rust in 1 month after being cleaned and oiled in one.

I have a mid 90's Mark V Alaskan 257 Weatherby that seems to take forever to clean, Shot it 15 times Friday and it took over 75 patches to clean, I use Tipton Brush & Hoppes # 9. I doubt I have shot it more than 500 times.

The group size has gone from under 1" to 1 1/2"; but I was shooting 15 year old handloads; is the barrel gone? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Try new ammo before jumping to conclusions....could save a thought of thinking and a bunch of other trial and error!

a borescope is your friend. a carbon ring maybe formed and it sounds like your barrel needs some jb bore paste. if it's rough, lapping or polishing could be needed.
may need to find some better cleaning products. shouldn't take 75 patches to clean a gun.
I have had good luck with Wipe Out Patch out and Boretech products

had 1 of those real shooter try accelerater plus wipe out all i use now works great maybe 10/12/ patches an clean then tried copper out patches came out clean

I have a mid 90's Mark V Alaskan 257 Weatherby that seems to take forever to clean, Shot it 15 times Friday and it took over 75 patches to clean, I use Tipton Brush & Hoppes # 9. I doubt I have shot it more than 500 times.

The group size has gone from under 1" to 1 1/2"; but I was shooting 15 year old handloads; is the barrel gone? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Right. As others have said bore tech eliminator is one of the best to clean bores. Hoppes #9 will not remove copper fouling. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner will take everything out just follow the directions.

Try new ammo before jumping to conclusions....could save a thought of thinking and a bunch of other trial and error!
Hoppes #9 alone will not be enough to thoroughly clean a bore which is a bad start. I know others who have rifles that only use a powder/carbon cleaner and not a copper cleaner and say their bores are clean without removing copper fouling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.