257 AI & Berger VLD help

Shufisher

The recent thread on high BC 25 cal bullets piqued my interest enough to pull the trigger (sorry for the pun) on a box of Berger 115 VLD bullets. Having never reloaded with VLD's, I understand the bullet should perfom better seated to the lands. Are there any tips or tricks I should know about before working up loads with VLD bullets?

Thanks,

Shu

9 of 10 times they'll shoot better seated to just touch the lands, or in the lands a bit. More times then not, your magazine will limit your length. You either have to single shot them if they wont feed from the mag, or you will have to go the longest the mag will allow. I've used VLD's in my 7 RM and 300 RUM and seated them to touch the lands. Start low because bullets that are close or in the lands can have quick pressure spikes. Good luck.

I agree with remingtonman, for many years I have done that, now the one exception is that I do not bring the bullets to just touching the lands; the reason is that bullets do change in length and bearing surface enough that some may be just touching the lands, others 0.002" into the lands and others 0.001 or so away from the lands. So I believe that you either keep away from the lands or start at 0.005 or so into the lands. That way will be more consistant. The idea being, of course, keeping all bullets into the lands or all off the lands for better consistancy. JMO
Good luck!

I haven't shot any of the Bergers out of my .25s... yet. But, I have shot a bunch of the 95s out of my 6mm Rem. (same case as your .257AI) and I do run into magazine issues. I have settled on a load which shoots very well (sub-MOA to 500 yds or so) and still fits in the mag. You will just need to fool around with the seating depth... I think it's easier to make them shoot accurately by seating them into the lands, but I don't think that's the only way.

I have used 115VLD'S in my 25-06 with great sucess.Your 257AI might give similar results.Touching the lands and slow powder gives me 3200fps out of a 26' Ruger KM77VT.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.