2506 ai loading

All of my AI's have used the MAX load for the parent as START loads and work up from there.

Cheers.
You start from there?? I realize that what the books shows and what generally can be loaded into the cartridge is two different things, but I wouldn't tell somebody to start at the top and go up. You don't know what type of chamber he has. I see he has been on here for quite awhile. A lot of my loads are 5gr or so over what the book states, but that being very careful on getting there. I like velocity, but not at the expense of accuracy.
My older Nosler manual on a 280 Rem is showing 140gr with IMR 4831 from low of 52gr to max of 56grs. All my newer manual are in Montana. So I would like at the 280AI loading and draw from there. It's a longer bullets so it probable doesn't push down the tube as easy. Looking at my older manual. I see that the 25/06) 100gr it's top load is 54grs IMR4831, and there 120gr is at 52grs. So it dropped by 2grs. that a 20gr difference in bullet weight. So you should be able to draw from there.
Let us know what you come up with.

You start from there?? I realize that what the books shows and what generally can be loaded into the cartridge is two different things, but I wouldn't tell somebody to start at the top and go up. You don't know what type of chamber he has. I see he has been on here for quite awhile. A lot of my loads are 5gr or so over what the book states, but that being very careful on getting there. I like velocity, but not at the expense of accuracy.
My older Nosler manual on a 280 Rem is showing 140gr with IMR 4831 from low of 52gr to max of 56grs. All my newer manual are in Montana. So I would like at the 280AI loading and draw from there. It's a longer bullets so it probable doesn't push down the tube as easy. Looking at my older manual. I see that the 25/06) 100gr it's top load is 54grs IMR4831, and there 120gr is at 52grs. So it dropped by 2grs. that a 20gr difference in bullet weight. So you should be able to draw from there.
I've been shooting AIs for 40+ years and starting at the max of the parent case is sound advice when published data is not available for the improved cartridge. I've done this with seven rifles and never had an issue. That said, backing off a grain or two never hurt anyone,

An AI load started at top end of PARENT case data is where I always start too.

Nosler load data (since .280AI is the ONLY AI w. SAAMI designation that will show in a load book)

160 Accubond

H4831SC:
.280 Rem 50.0-54.0 max
.280AI 55.0-59.0 max

RL22:
.280 Rem 50.0-54.0 max
.280AI 56.5-60.5 max

IMR7828
.280 Rem 50.5-54.5 max
.280AI 57.5-61.5 max

VV N165
.280 Rem 51.0-55.0 max
.280AI 56.0-60.0 max

IMR4350
.280 Rem 46.5-50.5 max
.280AI 51.5-55.5 max

These are just the only parent case to AI case comparison you can reference. But telling someone to start an Ackley Imp case at max parent case charge weights is commonplace.

20220612_132931.jpg

20220612_132943.jpg

You start from there??
Yes, have done so since the 80's, and not all of my improved cases are Ackkey's designs, some are my own.
The 375 Weatherby, which was my first improved round, runs 10g more powder than the H&H, so MAX loads for that are actually LESS than a 10% reduction.
Anytime a case is improved and more powder space is acquired you need to do the math and work out the capacity difference, because a load that is too small is just as, if not more, dangerous as an overload.
My 338-416 Rigby 45° shoulder holds 15g more powder than the parent case, the shoulder is moved forward .150". If I used the max load density formula with that cartridge, it puts it in the capacity range of a larger 378 Weatherby case, roughly 5g more. My version is almost identical in capacity to the 33XC, albeit about 3-5g more with the shoulder angle.
So working up loads was an unknown, it had to be done carefully and precisely.
50 Driver on here knows all this too well too. His development was based on the CheyTac cases first then the Rigby case.
You have to start 10% below or bad things can happen.

Cheers.

I just completed a 6mm/280AI set up with 30" Heavy Palma. So I am well aware what 280AI cartridge is. What I gave him was within the range for reloading. Not knowing the chamber that he has. About the only thing I am short is H1000 powder. The bullet being .257 and not .284. So the bullet is longer being it's a smaller caliber. In my estimation it should be a little harder to push down the tube do to bearing surface contact.

To the original request, 131 Blackjack, 59.9 grains of Ramshot Magnum, CCI 200 primer in fireformed Rem brass. This is not a hot load in my rifle, I went up to 62 without any crazy pressure issues, but stopped there, and went with where I had accuracy and the best ES and SDs. Getting around 3100 FPS out of a 23" bbl.

Obviously, all disclaimers apply and each rifle is different so do your due diligence.

I'll probably try magnum primers to see if that makes any positive difference, and then have plans to try RL 23 with the 133 Berger's soon. I interpolated other data (standard and whatever legit AI data I could find) to get close start and max loads. Don't have that info handy, but I'll share it later if you are interested.

You can use them, Generally not needed in 60gr area. I load to 75.5gr area, with only Fed210 Primers. You have to see on how they work to really know.

Guys, thanks to a well known member here, I have 2506ai, 26 in barrel, that loves 92 grain Hammer Hunters, pushed by a far amount of none other then 7828ssc. I'm talking Lazer accuracy, and trajectory. And devastating beyond belief terminally .
My second choice, is 100 gr TTSX, with slightly less charge. Same results.

I just ordered some hammer 92g for my 257 wby. First time trying them. Also got some 143 hh for the 7rm and/or 280rem. Heck maybe even the 7mm08.