.25 caliber options

Canvsbk

So I got mad at my .25-06 a while back and ordered a new barrel from Lilja. Now I have the barrel and am ready to send it off to have Dan Glover do his magic with it but am haveing second thoughts about my choice of caliber. I do not want to go AI with it as I don't feel there's enough gain for all the trouble.
So if I stay with 25 caliber any ideas on a clambering for antelope and some varmits?
(.......10 twist)

Only 1 option in my mind..........257 Weatherby Mag.

If you go to a larger diameter bullet, and want to utilize that same action without having to open up the bolt-face, .280 Ackley Improved is a great choice.

What are you trying to accomplish?

The weatherby is a bit hotter, the STW more so.

If you want to make the AI worth the effort, talk to Elkoholic about his Sherman's. He blows the sides out a bit and that added capaciity may gain you enough to warrant the AI concept.

Not really sure what I'm after here. I won this thing as a door prize a couple years ago and decided to keep it but could have and should have sold it on the spot. I just could never get it to shoot even fair so had it looked at with a bore scope. Looks like I've been shooting rocks down it....so I'm more or less committed at this point after I just up and ordered and have now received a new Lilja tube. Now that I've given it more thought I probably would have made a different choice of calibers on the rebarrel.

In that case, with the new barrel, I would do 25-06, and have a sweet shooter with your new barrel.

But you have 2-3 options if you want to hot rod it a bit.

If you want to go to STW, it would require bolt work or a PTG upgrade. I think....

Yes, .257 STW requires opening up the bolt-face. So does going to .257 Wby Mag.

They .257 Wby Mag would be easier to find brass for, and cheaper to shoot. Barrel life would be slightly longer, and velocities are just a tad slower than the STW.

Personally, I think you should give the .257 Wby Mag a try.....You won't be disappointed.

But then again, it all comes back down to preference, b/c it is in the end, your gun.

How about 25x284 just to be different? Plentyfull Brass and only needs necking .007". Use 6.5x284 Bushing Dies with the 25cal Bushings. Loaded with a Berger 115 VLD it would make a fine long range Cartridge.

Brit.

The 25-06 is a fine round in and by itself. As stated in a previous post the 257 Weatherby is an awesome cartridge. I have 2 Weatherby rifles in the 257. I also have Mauser action in a 25-06. Both of these rounds really like the upper end of loadings as they were designed to be fast.

The 257's I shoot the 115 Baltips and the 100 grain TSX's. The 25-06 shoots the 87 and 117's.
It all depends what you want to do with the rifle if you have the long action and expect to shoot mainly deer and antelope along with some varmints the straight 25-06 is just fine. And it won't cost you more for bolt work, dies (if you have 25-06 already), brass etc.

BUT, if you are into speed and want more without the bolt work then maybe get the AI version. Just make sure get a reputable smith with some experience with this cartridge.

That 25-06 has plenty of stuff to do what you need it to do out to about 400 and beyond with right bullet, load and practice after about 700 it's out of gas. I have never tried the Berger's.

Thanks to all for your insight. I have some experience with the .25-06 and of course dies and brass etc. so I'm going to continue down that path. It will be great as a 2nd pdog gun and I've seen how it handles coyotes first hand. I'ld just like it to shoot decent or better, might even drag it along on a pronghorn hunt who knows.
Thanks again

The 257 Stw will reach out an touch'em. Utilizing a 29-30" barrel, your fps could be a 3850. It has the knock down power from the fps. A 110 Accubond does an excellent job. I would use it on everything except Brown Bear. Brass is a bit hard to come by, RL25 works for me. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I've gone the boring route, for that I apologize, it's going to be a standard .25-06 but I'm sure the 26" Lilja will help a bunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.