.25 cal question

25-308 ai is a very good round. Very efficient no case stretch and will match the 25-06 velocity with the 100 grainers. The 25-06 will beat it with 117s and 120s. But it's a great deer antelope round for a short action. But as my handle says 25wsm you know what I mean to. It matches 257 wby in a short action. To be honest 257wby is still my favorite deer go to. A super little overachiever is the 250savage ai. And your interest in the 25-308ai would be a notch above that in performance. Now we just need to get bullet makers to make us some high be bullets. We have 6mm up to 640 and 6.5 up to 700. If they would scale a 25 right in the middle of those 2 it should be able to get 650 to 670. I use custom 110s with a bc of 540 but I would love over 600. Please bullet makers let's get the 25 out of the redheaded step child department. Shep

when I ran out of .375 H&H ammo

Poor planning for the amount of shooting you chose to do.

We sent ammunition ahead to the outfitter to hold for us until we got there but we also carried the limit with us during the flight. Any extra we often left with the PH for his use. Planning, especially when far from home resources, is essential to successful trips or competitions. I do the same thing when I compete, send it ahead and bring what I need as well. I have never been caught short or run out of ammunition.

. . . But as my handle says 25wsm you know what I mean to. It matches 257 wby in a short action. . .

As a 1/4-bore lover, and light-weight rifle enthusiast, the 25 WSM sure is intriguing. I've heard it is temperamental, though.

Last edited:
Poor planning for the amount of shooting you chose to do.

Erroneous assumption on your part. I was not using an outfitter as I was a resident, and the reason I ran out is that I gave a box to a friend who had joined our safari at the last moment and did plan poorly. OTOH, he was a short-term resident who never thought he'd have a chance to go on a two-week safari but jumped at the chance to come with us.

But the larger point is that wildcat cartridges you can fabricate easily in the comfort of your home will not be available when you're away from home. And the same is true even for common cartridges when you're hunting in the back of beyond.

"IF" I were considering a 25-08 , I'd think long and hard about a 257 Roberts, ether AI or std, It's parent case is the 7mm Mauser, slightly more powder capacity then the 308, and if you went with the Ackly improved version you can shoot std Ammo also, but the AI version puts you in the 25-06 league in a short action, just my 2 cents,

"IF" I were considering a 25-08 , I'd think long and hard about a 257 Roberts, ether AI or std, It's parent case is the 7mm Mauser, slightly more powder capacity then the 308, and if you went with the Ackly improved version you can shoot std Ammo also, but the AI version puts you in the 25-06 league in a short action, just my 2 cents,

Wouldn't a 257 Roberts version move him into a long action?

I had a .250AI (.250-3000 40° Imp) that would push a 100 SMK or TSX @ 3100+ or a 115 Berger @ 2960. My third longest coyote kill @ 1327 came from the 100 SMK. It also took several deer for my family over the years. Aweslme case. I almost wish I would have left it alone.....almost.
Also had a .25-06AI that was a rocket. 115 Berger @ 3400+ or 100 TTSX @ 3600. That rifle killed a lot of deer with authority.

I think his reasoning is that he already has an abundance of .308 cases available. That seems as good a rational as any to me.
If the OP isn't dead set on improving the case it would be a cheap and fun build that would only require the addition of a collet sizing die.

It feels to me as if we all keep dancing around the same issue: getting 3,000 FPS with a .25, 6.5 mm, or 7mm bore rifle. Every time I read of a new one -- or one that is new to me -- I wonder if it can be any different from one or two cartridges that are already available on LGS shelves. I hate to admit it, but no matter how many rounds you reload every year, there will eventually come the day you need to buy more ammo because you're on a hunting trip and the airlines didn't ship your ammo on time or something.

I remember being in Arusha, northern Tanzania, in the early 70's, when I ran out of .375 H&H ammo. There was only one gun store in town, but they did carry that cartridge and I was able to pick up a couple of boxes. If I had been carrying one of the recent cartridge designs that is said to shoot from one county to the next, I'd have been out of luck. Bottom line, and I'm sure I'll be heckled for saying this, is your .25-08 any faster or more accurate than a 6.5 Creedmore? There -- I said it. Flame away.

I am always afraid of forgetting some key gear on a trip, but never my ammo (see photo). Maybe there are international regulations that prohibit this. Maybe you can't travel to a high volume competition with enough ammo this way. But for normal domestic hunting trips this negates the "you can't buy it in any small town argument". Now the Reg.s do say ammo has to be in its original box. I cannot tell you how many times this box has been refilled with my hand loads. No TSA agent has ever checked but if they did they'd have to prove that HSM never used Nosler brass. Otherwise it's externally identical to the original ammo.

Now back to the point of this thread. I have a 260 ai and fight compressed loads/mag feed issues in my short action (the 25-308 would be very similar). So I am going to go 25 Creed. And no this is not bc of the creeds magical ballistics. It's simply bc is its shorter, still has enough powder capacity to push the new 131 blackjacks over 3000 fps, and I can get small primer lapua brass.

Attachments

• 20190223_091358.jpg
    20190223_091358.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.