25 cal threads

86alaskan

I've got my 30cal suppressor on order, so it's about time to thread my barrels. I have a Tikka 25-06 that I need to thread but don't know what to thread it. I'm curious if the 1/2-28 with still have an acceptable amount of muzzle diameter after threading. The can is a Silencerco Omega so I can run a 1/2-28 QD brake reamed out for 25cal. Or should I be looking for a larger thread and an adapter to 5/8-24?

I've got my 30cal suppressor on order, so it's about time to thread my barrels. I have a Tikka 25-06 that I need to thread but don't know what to thread it. I'm curious if the 1/2-28 with still have an acceptable amount of muzzle diameter after threading. The can is a Silencerco Omega so I can run a 1/2-28 QD brake reamed out for 25cal. Or should I be looking for a larger thread and an adapter to 5/8-24?

You should always use the largest the muzzle diameter will allow you to. Measure the O.D. of the muzzle with a caliper or micrometer. A general "rule of thumb" is .150" wall thickness after threading, but many will go with less and have acceptable results. Hangin' a suppressor on a long, skinny barrel may have adverse effects.

its a t3 lite from when they first really came out. I wouldn't say it's pencil weight, probably standard sporter weight. Any idea on the ideal diameter for 5/8-24 threads while still having a good shoulder to butt against?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.