.25 cal question

Erroneous assumption on your part.

I'm not going to drag this through the mud while others are enjoying the current topic.

I don't make assumptions, erroneous or otherwise. I state facts as stated in your initial reply. When you decide to give the facts in the first place then we can discuss your poor planning. From here on out, please use PMs as found in my profile or yours.:D

Currently we're working on the .257 Weatherby with the 131 Blackjack and the 128 Hammer. I have the 25 WSM reamer ordered and I have a 25 SAUM in hand. The 25-06AI will always be a favorite for deer hunting along with the .250 Savage Improved which is a superb little cartridge in its own right.

25-308 ai is a very good round. Very efficient no case stretch and will match the 25-06 velocity with the 100 grainers. The 25-06 will beat it with 117s and 120s. But it's a great deer antelope round for a short action. But as my handle says 25wsm you know what I mean to. It matches 257 wby in a short action. To be honest 257wby is still my favorite deer go to. A super little overachiever is the 250savage ai. And your interest in the 25-308ai would be a notch above that in performance. Now we just need to get bullet makers to make us some high be bullets. We have 6mm up to 640 and 6.5 up to 700. If they would scale a 25 right in the middle of those 2 it should be able to get 650 to 670. I use custom 110s with a bc of 540 but I would love over 600. Please bullet makers let's get the 25 out of the redheaded step child department. Shep

I do not see this happenning. They would have to introduce new 257 cal cartridge for using heavier bullets, 120-130s with bc over 600, but you would need a large twist.

If it works for your purpose and you want it then build it. Just be realistic about what to expect from it. It should be right around a 257 robert s ai --- and that is right around a 25/06. Both great and largely overlooked rounds with all the magnum and creedmoore craze.

Guess that would be a 25-308.
Have you seen the threads on the Blackjack 131 gr. .257 bullet. They are working on a similar round. It has 59 gr. case capacity.
Check it out.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/257-__________-name-this-wildcat.215882/
I have an 257 AI pops out an 100gr bullet at 3100 FPS it an great round but bullets dont have the BC of 264 s IAM building and 6.5 PRC to use as target / hunting round hvae no problems really w 257 Ai hope that helps.

I have an 257 AI pops out an 100gr bullet at 3100 FPS it an great round but bullets dont have the BC of 264 s IAM building and 6.5 PRC to use as target / hunting round hvae no problems really w 257 Ai hope that helps.
Also you can shoot 257 roberts rounds in the gun if you can find round now.

Well I guess we'll see what costs look like. Maybe I'll just rebarrel to .257 Roberts ai or .260 ai. Just trying to keep things fairly simple.

I think you would be happy with any of them. If you are looking at doing it now then 260ai is probably the cheapest. --
two years from now I think it will cost about the same. When I go through the 1000 or so 25 caliber bullets i have then I 'll see how things look.

Unless things have changed recently, I don't .25's have a very high BC. Seems like there's a bunch of cartridges in .264 or .284 that would be for hunting and long range due to high BC's.
But could be fun just to tinker.

For deer or antelope size game caliber any .257 that will start a 100 to 117 gr bullet 2800+ fps will suffice to at least 500 yards. You do your part and put the bullet in the vitals and the .257s are killers. The 25 Souper is an old but still viable caliber.

Unless things have changed recently, I don't .25's have a very high BC. Seems like there's a bunch of cartridges in .264 or .284 that would be for hunting and long range due to high BC's.
But could be fun just to tinker.

No the current 25s don't have great bc. Read up on BlackJack bullets. Now that they really got the ball rolling i think it's only a matter of time til the big names join in. I could be wrong- time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.