.25-06 with 120 Accubonds

Too Tall Rosenwald

I was wondering if anybody has a good recipe for the 120 AB. I had a good load worked up with Winchester Magnum Rifle powder and a 120 Partition, but they don't make that powder anymore. I kind of like powders that are not sensitive to temperature.

This load is for my nephew, who is a 'One Gun' guy. You know the type, rifle never leaves the pickup. Hunts coyotes with it year around, and in the fall he might shoot a deer or antelope with it.

Thanks

I don't have a .25-06 but the only a/b available in .257 is 110 gr.

I doubt that is why you haven't gotten any responses though. Be patient and you'll prolly get some help. Some folks are out hunting this time of year.

Festus

Too Tall, Nosler makes 120 partitions but I dont think they make 120 AB's.

I've loaded for 110 AB's and 115 Ballisitc Silvertips (same as the BT with a coating)

Got 3500 with the 110's using 55 g of RL17

and

Got 3405 with the 115's using 55 g of RL17

Tried Retumbo and H1000 but they were about 200 fps lower than the RL17

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/masters-reloading-48347/

Mark

Montana
Those velocities seem a little high! You sure your not shooting a 257 Weatherby? I'm loading 52 grains of IMR 4831 CCI 200 primer, WW brass, Sierra 117 SPBT at 3105 fps and will put 3 into a 3/4 inch or less group if I do my part. I haven't played with other powders much because this load shoots so well. I've also used this same load with 120 grain Nosler partitions and they shoot almost as good. Haven't tried the 110 grain Accubonds.

Montana
Those velocities seem a little high! You sure your not shooting a 257 Weatherby? I'm loading 52 grains of IMR 4831 CCI 200 primer, WW brass, Sierra 117 SPBT at 3105 fps and will put 3 into a 3/4 inch or less group if I do my part. I haven't played with other powders much because this load shoots so well. I've also used this same load with 120 grain Nosler partitions and they shoot almost as good. Haven't tried the 110 grain Accubonds.

apexmtnman, no doubt about it... it's a 25-06. Sendero 26" barrel. My jaw dropped when I first saw 3500 with the 110 AB. I was getting about 3300 with Retumbo and H1000. The RL17 blew them out of the water. 400 yd drops seem to confirm the speed... in fact the drops suggested that the advertised BC or velocity was low. This rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA or less with most loads. The 115 Ballistic Silvertips shot a little better than the AB's, so I went with them @ 3405 fps.

Montana, I've got 3 25/06's and I've never even come close to those velocities in any of them. Two of them are customs built on springfield actions with 24 inch Douglas barrells and one is a Mark 10 Mauser, also with a 24 inch barrell. Two more inches of barrell can make up a little of the difference but not 400 fps. Wow, I guess I'll have do some more load development with some of these new powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.