.25-06 vs 257 WBY?? 700 SPSs

joshua99ta

I'm thinking of picking up a new rifle here soon, I need someting for 0-400 yard rifle. I noticed remington has some speacial run of the 700 SPS in 257 weatherby.

I was just wonderind what you guys think about my ideas... I'll be hunting whitetail only and some varmnits with the rifle also.

Either way I'll do a little work to the rifle and play with it a little.... I kind of want to just take it as a stocker and see what I can get out of it with a stock barrel... yeah I can read about people doing it all day but I want to do it myself, from factory ammo to handloads, and trigger work and on down the line.

For 0-400 yards I would go with the 25-06 for one brass is a lot cheaper and you can neck some 30-06 lapua brass down to 25-06 if you want. Two longer barrel life.

If you want to be practical go with the 25-06, but I've gotta say, I've always been intrigued by the .257 Weatherby and because of that I'd probably choose that one myself.

Out to 400 yards it is hardly worth talking about. I've shot deer with both and you won't notice much difference and animals will fall over just about the same. You should just decide based upon what you feel like doing.

thanks guys... I'ma go w/ the 25-06 then.

I forgot about weatherby brass being god awefully expensive, and I want to shoot a couple different brands of factory ammo and see how they shoot out of it too.... I also want to try the phonebook test on a couple of em too.

I should be caught up on my bills enough where I can drop a couple pennies on the rifle when I get back in from work in a couple weeks.

If shooting factory ammo for the 25-06 try the Federal with the 117 gr Sierra bullet in it. I and my buddy have tried many different bullets handloaded over the years in the 25-06 and the 117 Sierra is very accurate and a real drop a deer in it's tracks killer. We have told non-handloaders about this Federal ammo with the 117 Sierra in it and they just love it.
52 grs H-4831, CCI BR2, most any case and the 117 Sierra shoot very well. My best load is 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250, Rem case and the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet. My rifle does not like boat tail bullets. IF you sight in the rifle to hit 3" high at 100 yards you can hold in the center of a deers shoulder out to 350 yards and not worry about shooting over or under it. If it is at 400 to 450 yards put the cross hair level with it's back and squeeze it off and down they go. Good luck and good hunting.

Just my experience, but Remington hasn't figured out the right freebore for Weatherby calibers just yet. I've messed with several over the years, mostly the .300 Weatherby in the classics, and they never would shott like a Mark 5. maybe they have it done pat now, but don't think so.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.