257 Weatherby vs. 6.5-06 vs. 6.5x284

Have you ever even owned a .257 Wby? If so, then you would never say the 6.5's are more accurate...That's a very elementary and false thing to say. Any particular bullet has the ability to be just as accurate as another.

While I like any and all calibers, I am a big fan of the .257's. The 6.5's are also great calibers. About the only caliber I don't like is the .270 Win. yet I still reload for them because my best friend shoots one, so I gladly reload for his rifle, provided he buys his own components...Which he does.

Anyway, I would love to know your reasoning how a 6.5 bullet can be more accurate than a .257 bullet... :cool:

I own and shoot a .25-06, I like it a lot. as a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the 26" barrel it might be my goto gun for everything. 257 Roberts will do that for me next maybe. Please remember that all comments are relative because all of these rounds will an do kill stuff all the time.
The .257 is a lousy (relatively-- its not really lousy--) round for several reasons.

1. I don't think the bullet per se is more or less accurate, as a whole the caliber is not as advanced.
2. Ballistic coefficient, sd, and configurations of available bullets; and then all of the stuff associated with that like wind drift, speed retention... you don't have good selection of bullets in the 257 and the ones that are available are not really that woopy. Not like the 30 cal and 6.5mm. there could be great bullets made, but nobody is putting money into research because they are probably afraid that there wont be enough people buy them.
3. as an earlier writer stated, there are not may people out there shooting, let a lone winning competitions with 25 caliber units. so... in my simple mind I have to deduce that there might be a reason for that. nothing specific, just generally speaking.
4. the writer said he wanted a bullet to shoot paper and animals with at long range. because of all of what I mentioned, I feel that the 6.5mm is going to be superior.

again, we are really splitting hairs here aren't we. we are those who have an abnormal, maybe even pathological, drive for greater and greater accuracy over longer and longer distances. because the tolerances get smaller and smaller, we tend to make mountains out of mole hills and that's just who we are. I love who we are, and I am glad that I have people who are willing to get into the nitty gritty on stuff to feed my accuracy lust. I have read a lot of your posts Mudrunner and I have a lot of respect for what you say. I didn't mean any offence with the .257, I guess I was just blowing my opinion out there. :)

I own and shoot a .25-06, I like it a lot. as a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the 26" barrel it might be my goto gun for everything. 257 Roberts will do that for me next maybe. Please remember that all comments are relative because all of these rounds will an do kill stuff all the time.
The .257 is a lousy (relatively-- its not really lousy--) round for several reasons.

1. I don't think the bullet per se is more or less accurate, as a whole the caliber is not as advanced.
2. Ballistic coefficient, sd, and configurations of available bullets; and then all of the stuff associated with that like wind drift, speed retention... you don't have good selection of bullets in the 257 and the ones that are available are not really that woopy. Not like the 30 cal and 6.5mm. there could be great bullets made, but nobody is putting money into research because they are probably afraid that there wont be enough people buy them.
3. as an earlier writer stated, there are not may people out there shooting, let a lone winning competitions with 25 caliber units. so... in my simple mind I have to deduce that there might be a reason for that. nothing specific, just generally speaking.
4. the writer said he wanted a bullet to shoot paper and animals with at long range. because of all of what I mentioned, I feel that the 6.5mm is going to be superior.

again, we are really splitting hairs here aren't we. we are those who have an abnormal, maybe even pathological, drive for greater and greater accuracy over longer and longer distances. because the tolerances get smaller and smaller, we tend to make mountains out of mole hills and that's just who we are. I love who we are, and I am glad that I have people who are willing to get into the nitty gritty on stuff to feed my accuracy lust. I have read a lot of your posts Mudrunner and I have a lot of respect for what you say. I didn't mean any offence with the .257, I guess I was just blowing my opinion out there. :)
Ok, see, this makes alot more sense. I thought at first you talking about .257 caliber bullets in general not being as accurate. I was highly confused. LOL

Glad we can get things situated, and are on the same page now. Yes, I do agree that right now with our given bullet selection (which I agree completely, kinda sucks compared to other calibers) we are VERY limited to what distances and abilities we have with the .257...Which is why I have been begging Berger to produce some 130gr Hybrid .257's atleast a couple hundred so I can test them out...But they are so busy trying to keep up with the demand for bullets right now thanks to "dear leader" in office trying to take our guns away and DOD and DOJ buying up all the ammo, nobody other than a small niche' company would be able to produce such an item.

I would talk to Cutting Edge, but their bullets are rediculously expensive. After winning the contest and getting 2 boxes of their bullets, now I can see why...Each bullet is CNC turned on a lathe. No wonder they cost $1.50 each. LOL

However, I do desperately wish Berger would produce them, as I have had excellent luck with their bullets performing as expected and the accuracy and consistancy is phenomenal.

I am also building a .25-06 A.I. at the moment, and a heavier LR bullet would be an excellent choice in it, as well.

Why don't you keep your Vanguard a .257 Wby. And take that 700 7mmRM action and make it a 7mm STW for long range. Then you'd have both your bases covered for inside of 500 hunting (.257 Wby), and 500+ hunting (7mm STW).

You should come join us over in the 7mm STW section and we can answer any and all questions you might have. If you've never shot a 7mm STW, then you're missing out...They'll reach on out there, and they hit hard!
I'm not planning on getting rid of it, I am just in the market for a custom rifle. I've thought about the stw in the past, maybe I'll have to look at it some more.

i have a 25-06 and a 280 and find i allways leave the 25-06 at home and bring a few 160s in my pocket and 100 or 120s in the gun:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.