.257 Wby --> .25-06 AI

Hey Nomo, care to share what powder and weight your using with the 115BT to get 3350? Std primer? Sounds like something deer and antelope fear.

-- gr8whyt

RL25, Win. cases & CCI 250 Mag. Primers. I use Fed 215 for 300WM & others, but not the best in the 25-06AI for some reason.

BuffaloBob

My point is that the Weatherby is a different beast from the Ackley because of the massive amount of powder you can stack behind a .257. If that is what you want then do it and enjoy it. It doesn't mean the improved cartridge is crap.

For what it is, I like and respect the Ackley. It improves the performance of the standard, may not be as fast as the full blown magnum, but you can't expect it to be with such a massive inequality in powder capacity.

I wouldn't expect a .300 Jarret to keep up with a 30-378 either, or a 6mmbr to keep pace with the 243 Weatherby mag. That doesn't make them dogs- just different capabilities.

Were you the one that hit the antelope over 1,000 yards with a 257 w?

what kind of twist recommend for 130's?

I shot some of the 130gr bonded FB's through my standard 25 and they shot very well. I got them up to a tad over 3000fps using RL-25. That was a standard Rem 24" barrel.

In my AI with the 28" Broughton they zip right along at around 3200 or so, but I don't have quite enough to really wring them out. I was just testing to see how they groupd with the 125 rbbt's. I have a 1-9 twist on this barrel and the 142's with everything I can stuff in the case still won't quite get right. I was hopeful they would but alas no such luck.

I can make someone a great deal on about 175 of them, if interested give me a holler. (hint hint BB):D

I am hopeful that this will be the year when Wildcat will produce some more in the 125-130gr range. I have contacted them and they are pushing for mid summer, but I have heard that before. If they do I WILL make sure I order enough to last a while since I have two 25's now that I know will shoot them both. I have to say they hit with authority, and there is no doubt when they arrive.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread, simply because I've seen alot of interest on here lately for 1/4-bores.

I'll weigh-in...I have both calibers, and after spending extensive range time with both, I must say that I am developing much stronger feelings for the .25-06 AI, and my previous love for the .257 Wby is dwindling.

I love the 25's! The 257 Wby being my favorite by far. Easy to load for, no fire forming, no expensive dies, mild recoil and just flat out hammers game.

That being said, if I had a long action with a .473 bolt face, I'd be 6-06 all the way. A simple pass through a 6-06 die using 25-06 brass is all you do. Furthermore it cycles and feeds perfectly. Put an 8 twist barrel on and throat for the Berger 105 VLD and never look back. A little overbore, but most are getting 1500-1800 rounds from a barrel. Run the numbers on a 105 VLD at 3300. It's an eve opener.

Just for reference...

7E16F5A6-028A-4C96-8DCF-BF7BD1013126_zpsisa0yxzn.jpg

I shoot a 257 Weatherby and a 25-284 which is easy to form just run the 25-284 die over a 6.5-284 case and it's done The dies are less than $80 and I load it to 3360 ish with 100 grain bullets not yet tried 110 or 115's yet I like it with the 100 grainers.

Wow this is an old thread..I have to say though..the 2506 Ackley improved falls around 150 to 200 fps short of the 257..and it's actually according to the barrel and rifle..I've seen different rifles do completely different things in both 2506 and 257w.. another factor you have to weigh in is barrel life and accuracy..I was just having this same conversation on another forum in this group comparing the 264 and 257.. accuracy is the main issue here..I've got a Mauser conversion in 2506 Al that I can safely and accurately load to 3450 fps before my groups start spreading..my buddy has a 700 Remington that he can safely load up to 3600 fps in 257roy..but that's as far as he can go with it..and my groups are much tighter at 300 yards..I have loaded to 3500 fps in my Mauser with no signs of pressure or indications that I couldn't load hotter but accuracy was best at 3450 so that's the top round I'll shoot in it.. otherwise what's the point..the 257 was stalemated..that's all he could get and his accuracy had already sloped off..so I mean that's a minimal velocity difference between the two..I might add that he has a 26" barrel and mine is a 25..my rifle was put together in 1967 and his was factory built in 1996..mine has had twice as many rounds through it.. probably 3 times as many just in the time I've owned it..the action and barrel have everything to do with what you are going to be able to do with any given rifle

Another thing I'm going to add.. another one of my friends has a 25/7mag wildcat with the same 40 degree shoulder Ackley used on his rounds and that thing will light the world on fire..it's chambered in a Sako action with a 1 in 12 in twist..26 inch barrel.. only problem he has with it is it won't stabilize heavier bullets but it will out preform a 257 all day long with 100 gr bullets..I think he is pushing 4000 fps or something..an amazingly fast round

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.