25-06 powder selection

86alaskan

So, I'm loading the 131gr Blackjack in my 25-06 for some LR target and hunting. So far I've tested Retumbo and IMR8133. Both powders get me approximately the same speed at nearly the same charge level. However, according to the IMR load data center, the 8133 load comes in at 10k psi higher pressure at that charge level. The Retumbo is 59gr and 3185fps, the 8133 is 60.5gr for 3190fps. Would you run the Retumbo or the 8133 based on the potentially higher pressures? I have 10lbs of the same lot of 8133, only the remainder of 1lb of retumbo, so I'd need more of it. Both charges are at approx 105% with slight compression when dropped and settled.

That's a tough question............I don't go by how much xx powder I have when choosing a load.
You only give the impression that you're concerned with velocity and pressure, while these ARE good things to be concerned with, accuracy is by far the governing answer for me.
10,000psi is neither here nor there, so choose one, it is after all up to you.

By the way, I find RE25 and RETUMBO so similar in burn rate and performance (accuracy) that they are interchangible in my own 25-06's.

Cheers.

86, the Retumbo loads appear the logical choice. We've had awesome accuracy with it in a couple 25-06. Simply, a certain powder will be accurate while another may not in any given rifle. How was the accuracy for both powders?

Accuracy was ok I guess, was just a simple pressure ladder to see what speed I could get to. I am concerned with accuracy, as this'll be my nightforce ELR challenge rifle, it's gotta be good. I was aiming for a speed, now to tailor for groups. I'll be tuning at 600 on a nice f class range. The 8133 gave me a 3 shot group across 1.5gr that was a true cloverleaf, probably .3in for those 3.

My 25-06AI likes H1000 with the 115 Berger. Don't know how it would work with the 131 gr, but might be worth a try.

Give H-4831SC and RL 26. I'm using both in my 25-284 with the 131 BJ bullet. The barrel is a Kreiger at 28" and I'm getting .500 groups with both. However, I'm thinking I will probably go with RL26 as it's giving me more velocity.

I'd like to try RL26, but I've only got .5lb and it's got to be the hardest powder to get right now. I'd need 2 or 3 lbs to get this done. The retumbo and 8133 are probably my runners, might test h1000 as well. I figure the h1000 will fill the case a little more evenly, 8133 is kinda bulky

Had exceptional speed and accuracy with rl17..110acc...wasnt a hot load..shot really well....hunting load...
It as others say rl17 is unstable....probably not good for competition....

I run a bit of rl17 in my 300wm with a 153gr hammer sledgehammer for deer hunting. It works good for that because temps are always nice and cool when it's being used and it gets me over 3300fps. But for this, it's a bit too fast I believe

I've got nearly 5 lbs. of the RL 26 so I'm pretty much set for as much as I shoot. Contemplating a move to Colorado so my usage might change. I'm using 54.5 grs. of both powders without any pressure or ejection problems. That's about as much as I can get in the case without compressing, which I don't like to do. Living in Virginia limits my options for long range shooting, sure wish I could stretch out the legs on these BJ bullets!

I've got plenty of space for powder, the 59 to 60gr requires some settling but is about the limit to avoid compression. I'm not afraid of it, some powders run better at or above 100% fill.

Give 7828 SSC and 7977 a try...

7828 SSC works great in my .25-06 AI with the 115 Bergers. Nearly a complete case fill.

I've got plenty of space for powder, the 59 to 60gr requires some settling but is about the limit to avoid compression. I'm not afraid of it, some powders run better at or above 100% fill.
59 grains of Retumbo works good in the 26 inch Sendero. I love the Sendero accurate with about everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.