25-06 powder

10gaugemag

First time poster, long time watcher. Looking to load up some 100-117 grain pills for my 25-06 and was wanting some opinions on powder. I currently have Hodgdon and IMR 4350 and 4831 on hand. Also looking at some of the other powders out there, mostly Hybrid 100V, Retumbo and 7828. Would love to try RL powders but am unable to find any within 50 miles. Anybody running these other powders in their 25 with 100/117 with better accuracy and higher velocities than the 4831/4350's or do the old standbys seem to work just as well? That Hybrid shoots great in my 6mm but I don't own a chrono so cannot speak on velocities but according to Hodgdon it gives excellent velocities, actually some of the highest in the 25 with 100grain and lower bullets. Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. My 25-06 is a Browning X bolt. I got some great Velocities with IMR 7828, reloaded 22 and 25 and such with the 115 GR Berger but but accuracy came from good old IMR 4831. It absolutely loves the 87 GR Speer TNT over Reloader 19 however.

With the 115 bergers I have gotton the best speeds and the best groups with IMR 4350.Also with the sierra 100 BT'S

10, my son's 25-06 is extremely accurate with H 4831 SC. Hornady brass and Berger 115 VLD in a 26" heavy barrel with a custom thumbhole maple stock, bedded.

So from what I have read from here and several other forums I just need to load from my powders on hand and see which gives best groups and work from there. No need to be buying more powders as these work well in my 6mm as well. Maybe I can get these used up and just be able to buy an 8# can of what works and be in stock for a little bit of time. Surprised I rarely see H4350 mentioned at all, it falls right in there with the IMR4350 and both H/IMR 4831 but doesn't get much attention at all.

With the 25-06 and heavier bullets, the slower powders often give the highest velocity and acceptable or better accuracy. For a 308 sized case in .260 Rem/ Creedmore/etc, H4350 and IMR 4350 lead the parade.

For 85-90 grain bullets I use H4831.

For 100 - 120 grain bullets I use Retumbo.

My 25-06 is a Ruger #1V with the 24" bull barrel. Great shooter. Good luck with your loads.

I have been shooting the 25-06 for about 25 years. I have had 4 different rifles and I have loaded for other people. These load just plain shoot in about every rifle I have ever loaded for.
115 ballistic tip, 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base, 117 Hornady interlock or SST bullets, WW or Rem case, CCI BR 2 primer, 52 grs H 4831 or the SC version, usually 10 to 20 thousands off the lands is accurate and depending on the rifle average 3000 fps.

With same bullets as above and cases, 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250 mag primer same velocity range. I shoot a Rem 700 Shilen SS #6 26" barrel with this load and a 117 Sierra pro hunter 20 thousands off the lands and average 3000 fps and bug hole accuracy. It is a drop a deer dead in it's tracks load.

With 100 gr bullets 52 grs IMR 4350 usually shoots lights out.

WORK UP TO THESE LOADS IN YOUR RIFLE.

RT, I have all of the bullets you mentioned except for the Hornadys and have the powders as well. I think I am going to play with some WLRM primers as well to see if they make any difference in group size, not needed for ignition bit may be worth the try.
How do those SST's seem to hold up? I have a line on a good buy for some but know they can be explosive in some applications.

I always have had really good luck with IMR 4831 in numerous remington rifles and my wifes tikka. I usually use sierra and nosler bullets varying from 100-117grn and the powder charge i use usually varies from 48.5-50.5 depending on gun and bullet

In my experience the Hornady 117 SST and Interlock Sp react on game the same. The SST does fly just slightly flatter. Actually the Hornadys are a little tougher bullets than the 117 Sierra. Most trouble with people saying that the SST is too explosive is the same with the Nosler ballistic tips. They are pushing them too fast. These bullets are designed to work best with IMPACT velocity under 3000 fps. I forgot to mention that if I were going after 200+ pound deer I would shoot the 115 Nosler partition or the 120 Speer Grand Slam bullets. These are tough bullets that drive deep.

In my experience the Hornady 117 SST and Interlock Sp react on game the same. The SST does fly just slightly flatter. Actually the Hornadys are a little tougher bullets than the 117 Sierra. Most trouble with people saying that the SST is too explosive is the same with the Nosler ballistic tips. They are pushing them too fast. These bullets are designed to work best with IMPACT velocity under 3000 fps. I forgot to mention that if I were going after 200+ pound deer I would shoot the 115 Nosler partition or the 120 Speer Grand Slam bullets. These are tough bullets that drive deep.
The SST or Interlock BT are tougher than Sierra?

In my experience yes as I stated the SST and interlock are a bit tougher bullet than the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. It is in my thought that it is because of the interlock ring that helps hold the lead core and jacket together better than the straight jacket lead core Sierra. I do like the Sierra better for deer. It really dumps all its energy into a deer and BANG FLOPS them 99% of the time when you put it where it needs to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.