25-06 powder

my 2 c
at 48.5 grains of imr4350 or 50 gr h4350 and berger 115 vld hunting
these things are super efficient and deadly
i also have come to respect admire nosher 115 gr partitions, drop dead right there on whatever i shot, pigs deer,antelope
i must admit with this hunting set up I'm at 300 yards max
weather by vanguard 2506 sub moa model. fully worked shoots these into .346 at 100 and .445 at 300. i have never heard of the animal saying the bullets weren't going fast enough to kill them,
just saying

As soon as some new brass arrives I am going to try 115 Partitions and 117 Sierra PH on top of both H/IMR 4350 and 4831. Already found a good load with 110 Ballistic Tips that are staying from 1/2-5/8" with 4 groups.

Please post your results, especially with the 117 grain Sierras. I couldn't get them to shoot worth a darn in my Ruger #1V. All the other bullets you listed work great in my gun.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I tried 4831SC with 110 gr. Noslers. I didn't take the Chrony but, it shot 5 shots under 1/2". Don't really know the velocity but, I'm am happy, happy. Now on to 85. gr. bullets.

10guage; looking at the Nosler page just now shows that Retumbo is pretty fast using the 100gn+ bullets, dont have any experiance with that powder though. I 4350 and 4831 also group well in my vanguard, though the velocity is middle of the road.
Travelhunter: eventually I would like to work up a load using the nosler partitions, I am courious to know what you ment about the 300 yd max range.
E

As soon as some new brass arrives I am going to try 115 Partitions and 117 Sierra PH on top of both H/IMR 4350 and 4831. Already found a good load with 110 Ballistic Tips that are staying from 1/2-5/8" with 4 groups.
I meant 100 grain Ballistic Tips. So far best was 51 grains IMR-4350, 100 Ballistic Tip, WLRM primer in Win Brass.
I did shoot several bughole groups with a Sierra 90 grain BTHP on top of 53 grains IMR-4350 and WLR primers. The 85 grain Ballistic Tips do not appear to shoot in this rifle, 4 different load combinations and 2" groups were the norm, may be able to seat deeper and get better groups but I stopped messing with them when I saw how the Sierra's shot.

10guagemag,

Ever read up on the Optimal Barrel Time theory? It's spot on.

Techshooters Shooting Pages

If you'd like (or anyone else wondering why/whats wrong), I can help narrow some loads down using OBT and QL estimates. I'll just need to get some data from you so that the estimate is accurate.

I actually rebarreled and re-chambered my Sako 75 25-06 into a 270 for broader versatility. As for powders, my 25-06 like H100V and RL-19. Great velocity and accuracy. My 270 now shoots 140 gr BTs at 3,000 (chrony'd) with H100V using Fed215's and 54 grs. powder. Start with those two, and use accubonds or BTs.

What information do you need?

If you have this info- it will make QL more accurate:
Case capacity in h2o grains:
cartridge OAL:
barrel length and twist rate:
Powder and charge:
velocity: (if you have a chronoed a different round using the selected powder I can run that and get a burn rate for this round- I'll just need all of the info above for that other round as well)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.