.25-06 Options and suggestions for pigs and dogs

Stix

Hi all, I'm new to these forums but i'm impressed with the level of knowledge and advice on these forums, it is a asset to hunters worldwide.

I have been hunting down here in Australia for the past 20 years, everything from feral cats and dogs, goat, pigs, deer and of course roos. Most of my hunting has been with an old Winchester Model 70 XTR Varminter in .243 which is on it's 3rd barrel. It's a great rifle and i'm more than capable of head shooting roos out to 200 metres and taking most game out to 300 metres if needed.

I have recently started hunting a few properties that have a problem with feral dogs causing damage to stock. My problem is it's real open country and shooting over 350 metres with my .243 and VXII 3-9 seems more like guess work.

I need a rifle and scope combo that i can take dogs at 500-550 metres with confidence.

I'm looking at a S2 Vanguard (Blues Synthetic) in .25-06 with a VXII 4-12X40 and shotting Winchester 110gn Accubond premium factory ammo.

Would this setup be capable of shooting dogs at 500 metres?

I would like to hear comments on this setup and hear any other suggestions? This rifle will also be used for Pigs, Chital and Fallow deer at normal ranges. I'm a bit worried about 12 power scope and long range expansion of the accubonds on dog sized game. I like to stick to one factory load and learn to shoot it rather than chop and change constantly.

Budget is an issue but i can wait a few more weeks and pay a few hundred more if needed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Stix

Keep the .243 ! Nothing at all wrong with a 25-06...not by a long shot ( pun there..lol)

Toss that scope aside and get something newer and more powerful on the top end.....you might even try different reticles..??.

If you dont handload..?..( you didnt say one way or the other) try some of the newest ammo like Varmageddon or ( some of the trick names) for "varmint" sized animals and with a 243 Id lean toward say a 100 grain slug for BIG "Roos" and such.

I hunt antelope and smaller things with a 243. They just don't have the horse power way out there. In 2011 I recovered a 100 grain Nosler boat tail from an over 400 meter classic heart lung shot.

the 25-06 has some power, are you stuck on the 25 cal? My pig gun is a 270 win shooting 150 BT's. The 270 wsm is also a fine choice.

All of my long range hunting rifles have 6X or 8X -24X scopes with 50mm - 60mm objectives. For 600 yrd paper punching I use a 10x - 40x

Stix
I am Down Under as well and hunt all of the above on your list around SE Qld.
I think the 243 is a very versatile calibre for Aussie game and a 100gn or even a 87gn pill will handle dogs out to 500m.
I know blokes who even hunt Reds with a 243. I'd get a 260rem before a 25-06 though, a good range of projectiles available for them. Both the 25-06 and 260 are a bit hard on roos, the boxes will condem carcasses with too much damage.

If you don't want to make elevation changes then a ballistic type reticle may be your best option. Just know how your aiming points correspond with your loads.

A .25 cal 110 accubond at 3250 offers zero ballistic advantage over a 24cal 105 Berger at 3150. All you will accomplish is to wear barrels out even faster.

What you need is a long range system. Get a scope you can dial or use a reticle on. Validate all your drops, calculate all your wind drift figures and learn how to apply them. Get some experience shooting long range. Apply the new drop and drift figures on rocks and such until you know your dope is accurate, your wind calls intuitive. Sounds like you are a hell of a shooter. I think learning to shoot long and equiping yourself with better gear is what you need. The caliber selection is secondary for your ranges and critters. You gotta have a range finder too. No guessing ranges past 300.

The VX2's will not track (dial up and down) accurately. Look at a vx3, or bushnell elite. The leupold offers the varmint and big game reticles. My hardcore coyote customers like these reticles.The Vangaurd is fine. I allways advocate a rigid stock, bedded action and tuned trigger.

For a real ballistic advantage, look at the 260, as suggested, with 130-140 Bergers or accubonds. You'll take a huge step down in velocity. But, the wind drift figures are tremendously better. Wind is the key to long range, not flat trajectory! Barrel life will improve dramatically too.

I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome!! Lots of great info here. Luck to ya!

Last edited:
Haha...I'm even horrible at guessing ranges under 300. But a range finder takes all the guess work out. Make sure you get one that will go further than what you want it to right now because when you get Comfortable shooting at the range you want to right now, you will want to push further.

Cheers for the advice guys, i am tempted to stay with the .243, i agree it is a great calibre. Although i have never taken a Red Deer or Sambar with it, i have dropped plenty of Fallow, Chital and Rusa with it.

I'm simply not comfortable shooting my particular .243 at these longer ranges, maybe a new scope would help but i'd rather just get a new outfit altogether. I'll look in to the .260 i don't know much about it, Vanguards do not seem to come in .260?

I really need a calibre with quality factory loads available aswell.

So what rifle/scope/factory load combo would you recommend for $1500 to take dogs and pigs at 500-550 metres?

Thanks in advance

Any bolt action. I'd pick one with a solid stock and a nice trigger. The Tikkas are great out of the box. For accurate factory ammo the 308 wins hands down. Endless barrel life.

I would pick a 6.5 mm for the light recoil, flat trajectory, and awesome terminal performance. I believe the Tikka comes in 6.5x55. This might be easier to find than the 260 over there.

A 7-08 would be next.

If these don't offer enough punch, the 270 is superb. Moderate recoil, flat trajectory, lots of factory ammo, and enough terminal performance for everything on your list. Speaking strictly factory ammo, the 25-06 does offer some advantage over the 243.

For scopes, the vx3, Bushnell elites, or Vortec PST's. Several good choices

Last edited:
I would agree with Grit. A good 6.5mm long rifle is gonna do you a world of good. I dont know what is easy for you to get over there where you are but maybe a 264 Win Mag, 260 Rem, 6.5x47? Those seem to be working pretty well for people. The 6.5 bullets are awesome and have a very good BC for the longer shots.

Stix,
Welcome to LRH, glad to have ya. You're home!

I shoot both the .243 and .25-06 and both are great rounds but need heavy, high BC bullets to reach their full potential. IMO, discussing standard factory rifling twist, the .243 is capable but limited to 500yds - the .25-06, maybe out to 650yds, for deer sized game.

IMG_4959_1.jpg

Winchester M70, .243Win., Heavy Barrel Varmint w/Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44.

IMG_5124_1_1.jpg

Remington M700, .25-06Rem., Sendero SF w/Leupold 6.5-20X40.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMjI2LTAwMDkyLmpwZw.jpg

Savage 12, 6.5-284Norma, Varmint Low Profile w/Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMjI2LTAwMDkzLmpwZw.jpg

Savage 112, .300WinMag, BVSS w/Nikon BuckMaster 6-18X40.

If Savage rifles are available across the pond I would check them out. Lot's of models, calibers and are noted for their out of box accuracy. My two routinely print less than 3" groups at 500yds.

For scopes, you see what I use. I like magnifaction. If I can't see it - I won't hit it.

Again, welcome and come back. JohnnyK.

Stix
I know blokes who even hunt Reds with a 243. I'd get a 260rem before a 25-06 though, a good range of projectiles available for them. Both the 25-06 and 260 are a bit hard on roos, the boxes will condem carcasses with too much damage.

I also hunt things that I only want a small hole through them. Sierra match kings and HPBT do a wonderful job. They are also powerful enough out of a 270 to go through a 1/2 inch of steel at 200 yards. I've taken the squeal right out of big pigs. Just a .277 output hole

As far as 6.5x55 goes Howa makes a rifle in this cal as well. Real good hunting round.

Another 6.5 that might be worth looking into is the 6.5 Creedmoor. This round has top notch match ammo from hornady as well as hunting type ammo from hornady.
6.5 Creedmoor for Tactical Competition within AccurateShooter.com

Ruger and Savage make rifles in this chambering that I know of.

If you reloaded I would say 25-06 and the 115gr. berger vld would reach out 500+ yards quite well, but I am not sure if that type of ammo is made commercially.

Gary

Welcome to the forum! I've got a .25-06 shooting the 115 gr combined technology at 3100 fps. Accuracy is under 1/2 MOA at 100, and I've shot the tops off bowling pins at 200 yards. As far as terminal ballistics on up to deer size game(so bigger than dogs) it's limit is roughly 600 yards, so well past your 500 meter limit. ballisticly it's a great cartridge with that 115 grain, and factory ammo is everywhere with bigger bullets, you won't have to have a special twist barrel on the .243 or need anything other than a factory rig for the 115 gr. Mine wears a 26 inch match shilen on a tikka m695 action. Trigger is amazing, action is like silk. It's wearing a vortex viper hs 4-16. I'd say it'd be the perfect dog gun! Here is a picture of it. Forgive the paint job, I've since upgraded it to a Mcmillan stock. If you go .25-06 you won't be sorry!
Nimrod
2011-08-30_17-01-07_430.jpg

Cheers guys,

I understand the 6.5 X 55 or .260 etc may be ballistically better, but the 25-06 will have enough energy to do what i want and when we are talking about what 3 feet or drop, what is another 6" give or take?

It is interesting to hear the .308 factory ammo may be more accurate.

I think i will stick with the Vanguard and either a VX 3 or one those Viper Vortex scopes. Do you think the 110gn accubond will expand reliably on dogs at 500 metres or do i need to get some varmint rounds?

Ultimately this rifle will be used when hunting deer and i would like to use the same ammo for both.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.