25/06 loads w 110 ELD-X

I recently rebarreled a Rem 700 custom shop rifle w/ a Brux 9.5twist factory contour at 24" with a muzzle break. Does anyone have any good loads. Typically hunt at less than 600 yds in SE Montana for mulies and antelope.

Well, with my Hart barreled 25-06, I'm pushing a 116 grain hammer with 52.5 grains of Rel 26, and getting 3050 fps with low ES and SD. When I have the bullet .010" off the lands, I'm getting .5 moa and less. If I seat the bullet deeper, then accuracy becomes less than ideal.

I recently rebarreled a Rem 700 custom shop rifle w/ a Brux 9.5twist factory contour at 24" with a muzzle break. Does anyone have any good loads. Typically hunt at less than 600 yds in SE Montana for mulies and antelope.
My first load was a 90 grain seirra hpbt with 54.5 grains of IMR4350
CCI large primer, seated to .002 off lanes and grooves

Now, with a 30" Lilja 1 in 10 I use a 115 berger with 57 grains of Retumbo and CCI benchrest primer
COL 3.704 using a Sinclair comparator

Retumbo offers "extreme" temperature proof performance
Lowered pressure
And is great with the heavier .257 projectiles.
I use a 115 grain Berger and it's been a real explosive tip from 50 yards to 500
This picture is 7 at 100

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_195202507.jpg
    IMG_20230701_195202507.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
The only time I use the ELD is in my Savage Axis with 24" barrel in 250 Savage doing some longer range plinking.

For the 25-06, I usually run either the 115gr Berger VLD or Nosler Ballistic Tip over RL22 or RL23.
No worries with performance on animals with either of those bullets.
The ELD has always had such mixed terminal performance.

There is currently a long list of load development information and data available from many resources. Since your rifle will have distinct preferences with regard to loads and bullets, you will need to do your due dilligence to discover exactly which bullet, powder and primers satisfy your needs. What works for one may not work for the other. Yes, I understand wanting some guidance to get started successfully. Here is a good graphic from Nosler to give you a cross-section of powders:

1688475021953.png

I started my apprenticeship having access to both the standard and Ackley version of the .25-06 reamers. I was also bless to have access to 50LB barrels of H-4831 powder. Maybe not the best choice for the standard case but it was better than having to purchase powder on my own.

Since then, I've switched over to the Ackley version completely. When chasing the Mule deer on the desert, this cartridge provides both accuracy and range required for my pursuits. Currently, I'm using the Badlands 110 Super BD2 bullets and longer throated chamber. These are seated over Re-23 or Ramshot Magnum, cooler burning powders but yielding good velocity.

In an effort to explore other cases for enjoyment, I have now converted the 6.5 Weatherby RPM to hold the better .25 caliber bullets. The Badlands 110 grain is primary, seated over Re-25 and VVN-565. I'm using a 26" barrel since the shorter barrels only handcuff the case capacity and performance.

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
What I found from years of shooting 25-06 and 257 AI both with 26 inch barrels doing both sex muleys and antelope is: I can also say this for my other calibers 270. When ever I did the classic brood side heart lung shot using the heaviest for the caliber bullets all I ever got was pass throughs with tiny output holes.

The heavy pills are going slower and higher sectional density just punch through and the animal doesn't know that it's hit. They run off and die. My friend lost a B&C antelope that we couldn't find. some other hunters from a different vantage point saw where it went and chased us down with it after we had left scored 89 points.

Same thing on deer. So I went to 100 grain in .257 and everything has been bang flop.

I do go to the range and shoot 100's of rounds before season practising on paper out to 400 yards with my two hunting carry type rounds. I print out all my ballistic charts for elevation and expected temperature just in case I have to do a long shot with a heavy high BC bullet. But nearly every animal I have taken is relatively close and that is where the 100's shine.

I'm a 25-06 and 257 AI person both with 26 inch barrels. Reloader 26 is first choice. Then MagPro, ramshot magnum. I use Superformance for 100's and 87's.

What I found from years of shooting 25-06 and 257 AI both with 26 inch barrels doing both sex muleys and antelope is: I can also say this for my other calibers 270. When ever I did the classic brood side heart lung shot using the heaviest for the caliber bullets all I ever got was pass throughs with tiny output holes.

The heavy pills are going slower and higher sectional density just punch through and the animal doesn't know that it's hit. They run off and die. My friend lost a B&C antelope that we couldn't find. some other hunters from a different vantage point saw where it went and chased us down with it after we had left scored 89 points.

Same thing on deer. So I went to 100 grain in .257 and everything has been bang flop.

I do go to the range and shoot 100's of rounds before season practising on paper out to 400 yards with my two hunting carry type rounds. I print out all my ballistic charts for elevation and expected temperature just in case I have to do a long shot with a heavy high BC bullet. But nearly every animal I have taken is relatively close and that is where the 100's shine.

I'm a 25-06 and 257 AI person both with 26 inch barrels. Reloader 26 is first choice. Then MagPro, ramshot magnum. I use Superformance for 100's and 87's.
Might I suggest Berger 115 grain VLD projectiles, uniform explosive performance at 50 or 500 yards.
I have a 30" Lilja Barrell and I'm getting 3248 FPS with 57 grains of Retumbo with a CCI benchrest primer, cases trimmed to .002 over minimum length, seated up against lanes and grooves but not touching.
My COL is 3.704 including Sinclair comparator.
7 at 100 yards

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_195202507.jpg
    IMG_20230701_195202507.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35