HELP NEEDED W/Hornady ELD-X Loads 270WSM

Jro1151

Hi guys, new to the 270WSM. I've been very interested in the 145gr ELD-X for an Elk/Mule deer load. Any one have experience with the ELD-X on big game? Any one have some loads for this bullet in the 270WSM? Im shooting a Savage 116 FCSS 24" 1in10 twist.

Hey bud

First I'll always advise doing a full OCW test whenever working with any new load. It provides the best chance at finding the best load in my opinion.

Regarding your bullet, I've never taken a 270 hunting before but last season I did shoot a black tail deer at about 250yards with a .308 178gr eldx. The deer did go down after staggering ten yards or so, so ultimately the bullet did what it had to do.

Fortunately for me black tail are like 125-130 living because when I gutted the deer out I found the bullet in two pieces, core and jacket. It had shredded one lung, and poked a hole in the heart.

I'm given to understand this is an issue because the bullet isn't bonded. I'll probably use the bullet next year too, but I don't think I'd try it on game larger or tougher than black tail deer.

Sample of one but I've heard this happened to others too.
Best of luck

Last edited:
Out of all of the loads, rifles, bullet weights, and calibers, I have only had one really good result with load development using a bunch of different ELD-X varieties. One 7RM shot the 175 ELD-X into the mid .3s after load workup. The rest were all barely MOA or bigger.

I have tried:
6.5mm 143gr in a .260 & 6.5 SLR (starting on a 6.5 GAP 4S with it)
7mm 162gr in a 7RM
7mm 175gr in 3 different 7RMs
.308 175gr on a .308, .300WSM, .300WM & 7.82 Lazz Patriot
.308 212gr in .300RUM & .300WM

Hi guys, new to the 270WSM. I've been very interested in the 145gr ELD-X for an Elk/Mule deer load. Any one have experience with the ELD-X on big game? Any one have some loads for this bullet in the 270WSM? Im shooting a Savage 116 FCSS 24" 1in10 twist.

Any luck in your quest for a good load in ur 270wsm? Going to start some testing tomorrow on my A-bolt 270wsm.

Gene, I'll start load development next week for a .270WSM. I'm looking at 140 Bergers and have 3 different Hornady 130 and 140gr to try. Many prefer the Federal 210M primers and H4350. I'll try a couple other powders as well.

DOSH, I didnt have H4350, only imr4350 this am. So i went with re19 and retumbo. I need to find some h1000 and mag pro. With retumbo i noticed dent in jacket from stem in Hornady seating die. Due to compressed load. I'll just use those for getting on paper. I put a new scope on also. I need a new die or a bullet seater designed for eld-x / berger style bullets. Or switch to faster powder to save volume. Never did like Horanady dies may switch to rcbs. Which do you use?
Gene

Gene, will use Redding with the VLD seating stem. I've read Hornady has a VLD seater also. Check Amazon for both. The IMR Enduron 4451 is nearly identical in burn rate to H4350 and is also temp insensitive. Will know more which works when I shoot some loads.

Fed 210/215 H4831 and clean up your necks with steel wool at least. Better to turn them so they are round with the least amount of material taken. Start at 56gn and work up. Your going to see it shoot early then open up as it gets faster at 2.860 Find pressure and back off a grain and play with your seating. If H4831 doesn't shoot not much else will. You can go faster with other powders however if 4831 won't shoot you will need to check your bedding lug contact screw torque and if the barrel is freefloated on the range or needs pressure(in lightweight barrels especially)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.