25-06 AI brass question

eshorebwhntr

Looking at building a 25-06 AI in the future. Norma makes 25-06 about $1/pc. Lapua 30-06 is available.

I've had poor experience with Norma. It's consistent but the stuff I've used has soft case heads and primer pockets loosened up after 2-3 loads.

I've got all the stuff to neck down and turn the necks at the 6.5 stage.

My question is....is all the effort worth it? I'd hate to work up a load, fire form, work up another load, then the brass be toast.

I used Lapua, and Winchester 30-06 for my 25-06. It's easy to use .270 or the '06 brass and make 25-06 in one pass. Because I have more time than money I went 30-06-.270-25-06 and never "lost" a single piece. What twist are you going for in the new barrel? I went with 1:7.5 for the 131 gr. Blackjack bullets.

I use the Norma brass in 25-06 for my 6.5-06AI. I found their 25-06 brass to be very good. All necks were concentric and all brass was with 1 grn of each other. Didn't lose a single case when fire forming (unlike my 6 dasher from 6 BR lapua brass). Just for craps and giggles I did neck down a single piece of lapua 30-06. Did it in 2 steps (7mm then 6.5). You do have to trim the brass and neck turn it.

Looking at building a 25-06 AI in the future. Norma makes 25-06 about $1/pc. Lapua 30-06 is available.

I've had poor experience with Norma. It's consistent but the stuff I've used has soft case heads and primer pockets loosened up after 2-3 loads.

I've got all the stuff to neck down and turn the necks at the 6.5 stage.

My question is....is all the effort worth it? I'd hate to work up a load, fire form, work up another load, then the brass be toast.

I use lapua 30-06 necked down in one step to 25 in a standard 2506 full length die with no issues, going down to 6.5 then 25 will work too, but I found I didn't need to so it was an extra step... I've had over 13 loadings on some of my brass pushing a 115gr Berger at 3300 fps so the juice is with the squeeze when it comes to brass prep... my first barrel was toast by about 1200 rds so a box of 100 lapua brass should last you longer than a barrel.

Orch

Good information. Thank you guys. I've shot a 6.5 saum for 12yrs now so I have all the tools to neck turn 6.5 diam necks. I have some time to wait on the build so I probably will go the Lapua route.

I've got a 7.5 twist barrel for the 131s.

Looking forward to this project.

Thanks again to all for the insight.

Not the right title/place but I figure I'll ask you same guys again.

I'm doing this build from scratch and thinking about bottom metal. What would you guys recommend to feed nicely. Probably going to order my first manners for this one.

Detachable mag, hinged floor plate? What brands?

I've got stock bdl bottom metal on a few guns, CDI on my SAUM, up in the air on what to do on this one.

Not the right title/place but I figure I'll ask you same guys again.

I'm doing this build from scratch and thinking about bottom metal. What would you guys recommend to feed nicely. Probably going to order my first manners for this one.

Detachable mag, hinged floor plate? What brands?

I've got stock bdl bottom metal on a few guns, CDI on my SAUM, up in the air on what to do on this one.

I'm doing a hinged floorplate on mine. I personally don't see a need for a DBM as I haven't had any feeding issues with my other Ackley's either. Even if you did run into feeding issues you could always put a Wyatt's CFE box in and have center feed. Just my $.02

Saw HS makes a mag system. Looks ok but a little pricy. Looking at Gen 2.

I like that it's 4rds and doesn't hang lower than the trigger guard.

Manners also has the option to mold the stock so no sloppy/ugly fitting job.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.