25-06 ai brass

Jcub

I don't have either cartridge, I'm just curious as I can't find anything from Google about it.

Can you use Nosler .280 a.i. brass necked down?

Not without doing more than reducing the neck diameter. The 280 AI has a shoulder longer than the 25-06 or .270 to prevent it from being loaded into and fired in a .270. Trying to force a .284 down a .277 would blow it up.

there might be a reamer for a .25-.280 AI, that would only require necking down.

You would be better served by using .25-06 or .270 brass.

Would the case capacity be increase or decrease by doing a 25x280 ackley do you think?

You can, but it's a lot easier to just form your own .25-06 AI cases out of cheap .270 Win brass.

1.) Take new .270 Win cases, run them through a FL .25-06 AI sizing die.

2.) Trim the cases to 2.514" (it will shrink 0.020" during the fire-forming process to get your proper case length of 2.494").

3.) Load your primer into the case.

4.) Use a light load of powder (I use 45gr of RL19) behind a cheap bullet (I use Hornady 117 Interloks), seating the bullets touching the lands so that when you close the bolt, you get a very slight resistance, so you know the bullet is against the lands and the case head is against the bolt face.

5.) Go shoot.

Simple as that. And when you're done, you should have this...

Left: .25-06 round (made from .270 Win case) ready for fire-forming
Right: Fully-formed .25-06 AI case (made from .270 Win case)

fullsizeoutput_115c.jpeg

Last edited:
Not without doing more than reducing the neck diameter. The 280 AI has a shoulder longer than the 25-06 or .270 to prevent it from being loaded into and fired in a .270. Trying to force a .284 down a .277 would blow it up.

there might be a reamer for a .25-.280 AI, that would only require necking down.

You would be better served by using .25-06 or .270 brass.

+1

The best thing to do is get a 25/06 AI reamer and a 25/06 head space gauge and that way you can use standard 25/06 ammo or brass and fire form to the AI cartridge without any issues.

Normally if the chamber is set up correctly it will be very accurate while fire forming so you don't have to do anything special during fire forming (Most hunt with the factory loaded brass and fire form at the same time.

J E CUSTOM

I misspoke earlier when I said I don't have either, I do have a .280 ackley and am going to re barrel it at some point. Just curious. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.