25-06 ackley and other ackleys

MudRunner I have not tried the 7828 SSC. What I didn't like about the 7828 was how temperature sensitive it was. During load development I was leaving my bullets on the bench. One time I forgot and left the bullets in my pocket. I was instantly over pressure. When the rounds were cold they shot ok but usually had one flier. Also when they were cold I had no pressure signs at 61 gr 7828. If I kept them warm I was over pressure at 59 gr 7828! Is the SSC more temp stable? From what I have read you load the same as regular 7828. In my gun the H1000 tightened up the groups and had a way better ES. If your gun likes the 7828 I think it will run with the 257 Weatherby. I liked the speed with 7828 but it was just not consistent enough. With a 28-30" barrel I would think 3400+ fps could be reached. With the H1000 I am at 3350 fps with a ES of 11.
No, it's supposed to be the exact same burn rate and everything as regular 7828, but the grains are cut all really short so it meters alot more precise in automated machines like the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and Lyman automated powder measures.

Works great in my Chargemaster 1500.

I'm not having any issues with overpressuring with 7828 SSC in my 7mm RM. It was about 50-60 degrees when I developed the load and it's colder when hunting, so I'm not having any issues.

Glad it's working for you. Where I am in southern Manitoba I shoot in some extreme temperature swings. During load development I shot in -5C to -20C! Then in September when I have time to practice it might be plus 20C. During our deer season it can be just around freezing or it might be -30C. Needless to say I need a temperature stable powder. H1000 has been awesome in my 300 RUM. Very consistent in all temperatures.

Man, patience is not my strong-suit... I really wish the smith would hurry up and call me and tell me that my .25-06 AI is ready... It took me a long time to get all the pieces to build it, and now having to wait till after deer season for him to finish it, is killing me. LOL

It will be worth the wait. Mine is a fun rifle to shoot. What are the specs on your build? What bullet you going to shoot?

How close in performance is the .25-06 AI to the .257 Weatherby?

You can get pretty close to 257 Weatherby speeds. I only have a 26" barrel. With a 28-30" barrel and the right powder you may be able to match it. The 25-06AI takes less powder and the brass lasts a long time compared to the 257 Weatherby. I am shooting the 115 Berger VLD at 3350 fps. The weatherby is a awesome round as well. I have never had one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

You can get pretty close to 257 Weatherby speeds. I only have a 26" barrel. With a 28-30" barrel and the right powder you may be able to match it. The 25-06AI takes less powder and the brass lasts a long time compared to the 257 Weatherby. I am shooting the 115 Berger VLD at 3350 fps. The weatherby is a awesome round as well. I have never had one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

That's impressive! The .257 WBY is definitely no slouch so to come close to that things performance. with the .25-06AI is truly impressive. I'm not much into .25cals but they're wicked cartridges!

I have two Ackleys. One is a 30-06 and the other a 25-06.
The 30-06 has fulfilled all my expectations. Excellent Accuracy, just shy of 3k fps with a 168 A-Max which is healthy, zero pressure signs and primer pockets as tight as new after six reloads, never trimmed a case either. Rem Action and Lilja Barrel
My 25-06 is still a work in progress but so far accuracy is very poor. This is a Borden Action and LW Barrel too. Only Bullet showing promise so far is 115 Berger VLD and H4831sc. However 53 grains is max before heavy Bolt lift and that is for only 3000fps too. Brass is fireformed Sako Factory.

Brit.

TRY RETUMBO POWDER.
You will love it with that projectile.
I use 57 grains in my 25-06 rem, but I'm SURE youll get great results with no pressure at all.
CCI Benchrest primer
Win/Rem cases trimmed to 2.486
3248 FPS with lots of dupes.

Attachments

• 57 gr Retumbo, 115gr Berger VLD.jpg
    57 gr Retumbo, 115gr Berger VLD.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 57 gr Retumbo, 115 gr Berger VLD 2.jpg
    57 gr Retumbo, 115 gr Berger VLD 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.