.243Win 55HH How Fast?

My thoughts as well plus his AI gives more case capacity that will not work for my plain jane. I did see a 6MM with the 55 and Varget which is encouraging since I am using 700VLS with 26" brl. I am betting Varget will get me there. 🤞🙏

Don't you think you should convert it into a AI? 😉

Man, this was the answer back when your local old Smith did it for 80-100$ in about the time it took to run a few errands. But that day is long since gone.

If you're going to all the trouble of a rechamber why not a 6-06 ai or a 6-284? 😁

6-06 needs a long action, 6-284 could be more than to much of a good thing. But it flings 55 like wild.

Ai does get a few more grains, and a few more is all that's needed to lope into the ballparked speeds.

I would be happy with 4000 or any velocity that is close. The most accurate load would be my choice.

As a comparison, I have launched the 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at:
4200 fps from a 24" 6mm-284. Might have gotten more but accuracy node was around 4100
4050 fps from a 24" 243
Now for the kicker.... 3900 fps from a 31" 6 BR!
All of these rifles were used on the only small varmint we have around here, a variety of squirrel that frequents boulder fields. When it hits them they fly apart and often as long chunks spinning in slow circles.

I would imagine the 55 gr HH will penetrate and have quite a wound channel. Only drawback would be the miserable BC for longer shots with lots of wind drift.

I would imagine the 55 gr HH will penetrate and have quite a wound channel. Only drawback would be the miserable BC for longer shots with lots of wind drift.
Yep, my intent is to have a laser to 400 and all I need here in MI. I also have 2 young granddaughters that I am thinking will have "blast" shooting this off Deathgrip. No doubt in my mind it will be its own "Deathgrip" on game. Just need time to shoot while in muzzleloader season.

Yep, my intent is to have a laser to 400 and all I need here in MI. I also have 2 young granddaughters that I am thinking will have "blast" shooting this off Deathgrip. No doubt in my mind it will be its own "Deathgrip" on game. Just need time to shoot while in muzzleloader season.
I have all the projectiles I'll need for the foreseeable future but nonetheless somewhere down the road I want to try the 75 hammer hunter in my .257 wby for
The same kind of idea.

I do have experience with the 55BT out of same rifle and shot it at 3750 where accuracy was pretty good at 300 (2") but wind drift was as expected. Tried close to 4K and accuracy sucked. Breezy? Shoot something heavier like the 87VMax which does darn good in wind.

Last edited: