Twist rate, how fast is too fast?

It doesn't look like a thin jacketed cup and core bullet nor does it appear to have the real aggressive sharp edged lands either but difficult to tell in two dimensions.
Its a Bartlien 375 5R barrel 29" in length starting at a 16 twist and ending in a 7.7 twist that is being used today and shooting very well in the ELR stuff pushing a 361 grain solid. Pictured is a 414 grain GS custom I recovered from a snow drift, it was a new barrel so yes the lands were new and sharp. Yes a cup and core bullet would blow up at a 7.7 twist but as you can see it distorts the bullet a lot less then what most folks assume and mention as far as the lands go.

JH

Its a Bartlien 375 5R barrel 29" in length starting at a 16 twist and ending in a 7.7 twist that is being used today and shooting very well in the ELR stuff pushing a 361 grain solid. Pictured is a 414 grain GS custom I recovered from a snow drift, it was a new barrel so yes the lands were new and sharp. Yes a cup and core bullet would blow up at a 7.7 twist but as you can see it distorts the bullet a lot less then what most folks assume and mention as far as the lands go.

JH
Actually as I understand it one of the advantages of the 5R rifling is that it doesn't have the sharp edges that other types of rifling have thus the higher velocities they tend to produce.

I currently own one 5R barrel on a .260 and that's what I see consistently over the same loads for my Ruger FTW in .260.

It's also just stupid accurate and the easiest rifle I've ever tried to find accurate loads for.

Thank You again. I will recheck everything and try again. Since I live in NJ I am nearly at sea level. My altitude in 75 feet . I will try again. Lenny

Go
I shot a 6SST. 28" 1:7" twist.
An 85gr V-Max @ 3650 and up would vaporize about 15-20' in front of the gun. Pretty cool to witness.
Stability factor of 3.66
375,428 RPM.
Too much for the thin skinned V-Max to handle.
go to general posts and look up Talk about crazy check out picture and see what that 85.5 grain Berger did down range. David

How do I post a link I just went to general discussion and typed in Talk about crazy check out picture and it popped right up. David
Right click on the post number, copy and paste.

You going to make me sift through 436 pages? Or make it easy on me and post a link?
I can't figure out how to move so I can repost it but I went to the magnifying glass and typed in Talk about crazy check out picture it came up every time it was on august 16 2021. David

I can't figure out how to move so I can repost it but I went to the magnifying glass and typed in Talk about crazy check out picture it came up every time it was on august 16 2021. David
Here you go, seems I'd already found it and just didn't' remember it.

Here you go, seems I'd already found it and just didn't' remember it.

I seen wher you had read it thank you sir for helping out. David