.243 Trumps .308-@1,000 ?

crocket

This is an excellent site!, thanks for letting me in, yes I'm new, but not new to the hunt, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering which bullet and load,you would use to hit 1,000 yds. efficiently, with a .243., I'm shooting a model 11, 1-9.25 twist that is 22 in. long, and am currently shooting the 85 gr. Barn's tsx's 500yds., for coyote, and my load data for that round is-48 gr imr7828, w-benchrest primer, 1.5 groups @3,350fps. They're are some comp. 1,000 yd. shooters around here that shoot .243 instead of 308 @ 1,000, saying the .308 didn't have the energy to knock down the silhouette, but the .243 round does, is it true?, if so what would you recommend for bullet and load?, thank-you

Crocket- welcome ... " they're are some comp. 1,000 yd. shooters around here that shoot .243 instead of 308 @ 1,000, saying the .308 didn't have the energy to knock down the silhouette, but the .243 round does, is it " ..........Knock down what silhouette??

roninflag, sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm not a 1,000 yd shooter, by my stating silhouette, I just ment, a steel knock down target. Thanks

That's funny, I was thinking the title of that post might be politically taken, the Donald is the wild cat, at least he is a leageally born citizen of the united States, unlike mr. Ohmuslin!

243 shooting a 107 Sierra @ 1000 is about 510 ft lbs energy. Bullet drop is 293".

308 shooting a 175 Sierra @ 1000 is about 600 ft lbs energy. Bullet drop is 392".

Both are fairly close to each other in energy. 243 shoots like it's 100 yards closer.

That's funny, I was thinking the title of that post might be politically taken, the Donald is the wild cat, at least he is a leageally born citizen of the united States, unlike mr. Ohmuslin!

My head is already swimming with the political stuff on TV...And it's just starting. Did you come hear to talk about shooting or politics?

sorry, your right, my interest is more on shooting, I was just chiming in on the other, sorry. I know there are more efficient calibers for a 1,000 yds., my 300win mag definitely is, but my reason for this post is just to find a 1,000 yrd recipe for my .243, I know, eventually I will find one, there are a lot of skilled shooters on this site. Thank-you

The .243 does best at 1000 yds shooting long 105-115 class bullets but the factory twist of 9.25 won't stabilize them, it takes an 8 twist to stabilize the 105-107's and a 7.5 twist to stabilize the 115's. It's an excellent 1000 yd round shooting the heavier bullets, it'll buck the wind a lot better than anything the 308 can shoot with any speed.

Your problem is going to be the 9.25 twist, it won't shoot the really good 6mm bullets. I would probably try the 105 gr. hornady HPBT match bullet. It's not a VLD style, it's shorter than most 105 gr. 6mm bullets and will likely stabilize in the 9.25 twist while still giving a pretty good B.C.

Garycrow thank-you very much for that information, I'll give the 105's a try then, first I need to save up for oprics that will allow me to see that far, my vx-2 won't cut it, thanks for heading me in the right direction, I can work up some loads for that bullet till then, thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts