243 beginers Rifle

Went to Cabelas and the savage does feel good and has the upgrades I would start out with. I think that will be the one that I will go with. I will upgrade the scope though. Any thoughts on the scope?

I really like the SWFA fixed power scopes for cheap extremely durable, reliable scopes. But a 12x is the max that I use. The 16 is very minutely fuzzy and the 20 is moderately hazy. The 12x and down are very clear. The scope on mine is a 6-18x40 mm Nikon. I'd does very well as far as clarity and repeatable dialing. But I do not like he 1/8" click value on the scope. On my 243 I run out of turret at about 550 yards and have to use holdover from there. This is for targets only since the bullet doesn't have sufficient energy past there. I will say though, that with the 1/8" clicks you can dial extremely precise. Another scope on the cheap that I really like is the Vortex viper 6-20x44 PA that cameralandny sells for $279 from time to time. It's a great scope for the price.

Nikons are fair quality at a fair price. SWFA are better but fixed power. Then vortex viper line or the HST line. Up from there are lots of good expensive scopes.

My Remington 750 auto loader .243 was a tack driver last season. Now I'm lucky to group 3". I can't figure out what happened during the off season.

Is it the same box of loads?
Have you cleaned it lately?

The barel could be fouled or even slightly rusty if it wasn't cleaned since last season. Or it could just be copper fouled bad with the getting nasty. I would think it would have to be pretty dirty for this to happen. But I have seen it.

What are the thoughts on copper fouling? I've seen some youtube videos, where they want the barrels coated with copper, and some say remove it all......

As a tack driver, are you saying one holler,.5 moa, 1moa? How much have you shot since last year? If it is the same loads - ammo, give it a good cleaning. Make sure you fire enough rounds down it to bring it back to where the accuracy should come in. Factory barrels take more rounds down them then customs.

At 100 yards, I was covering 4 holes with a quarter. Now...... I'm scratching my head.... thinking.

I need to start documenting every time I go to the range.

Went to Cabelas and the savage does feel good and has the upgrades I would start out with. I think that will be the one that I will go with. I will upgrade the scope though. Any thoughts on the scope?

i shoot remingtons. if i was getting a savage .243 it would be an LRPV

Lol... Ok... It appears you got one piece of the puzzle figured out ... Now the scope lol

Man... That's a tough one and you'll get as many recommendations as there are stars under the sky. My advice to you... Figure out what you are willing to spend and add $250 to it. Look through lots of scopes until you find a manufacturer or make that looks good to YOUR eyes... They are the only ones that matter in this instance.

The determine how far you really intend to be shooting. If over 300 yards.. You might consider a mildot or other reticle that allows you to quickly sight at varying distances. Also... You might want to consider turret elevation/windage knobs if you prefer to dial in your adjustments.

Now... Add another $100 and you will likely have a scope you will be satisfied with for some time... And not want to upgrade it in a year or so. :D

Good luck buddy. Oh... My eyes like bushnell elite glass and vortex viper glass... In my price range, but yours... Who knows. You will, if you take the time to find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts