243 beginers Rifle

ebagwell

Looking to purchase a 243 for long range shoot/varmint hunting and deer hunting. I currently shoot Remington and shot browning before as well. What would be a good starter gun? read several articles about Savage and leaning more to that because of the camo options but not sure on accuracy vs Remington.

Whether you select a Savage or a Remington I'm sure you'll be satisfied. Run down to the local gun shop and fit one of each to your shoulder. The one that fits best is the one I'd choose.
I'm almost exclusively a Remington rifle advocate. But that's because I was born (almost literally) with a Remington in my hands. I have friends who are just as dedicated to their Savage rifles and they compete very well with the rest of us.

I grew up a Remington fan, but some years back decided to try a Savage. Since then I own 1 custom, 1 Remington, and the rest of my boltguns are Savage's. Do as FearNoWind said, you'll be happy with whichever choice yo make.

I would look at the savage axis if its just a beginning rifle. Don't laugh a friend bought one and after a few boxes of ammo we went with hornady 95gr sst. Thing was shooting .75 moa no problem. Them by chance he bought the Winchester combined tech 95gr silvertips. Now all I can say is wow that thing makes one ragged hole at 100 yards. Really very impressive, now that they offer it with the accutrigger should be even better. I do not own a savage but will shortly after seeing his and others shoot that well.

I bought a Savage Axis in .223 last year, it shoots outstanding. I did not know that the current Axis is now sporting the accutrigger.

All the things said before.

Like the 308 offerings, 243s should all be relatively good. Tikka, Weatherby, Savage/Axis, Reminton, Browning and many many more.

If you like to tinker or like the idea that you can, Savage/Axis or a Rem 783.
If you are a take it as it came, almost anything.

I prefer Weatherby which would mean a Vanguad 2 for you but that's the rub. So many so many. So hard to choose.

My decision tree includes:
American owned company.
American made.

Ferners get some consideration for quality but... LOL

Try putting 243 into Gun Genie on Gallery of Guns. At the moment there are 90 offerings in stock. So much fun to shop.......

Research the twist rate of the models you like.

1-8 preferred.
1-9 acceptable
1-10 hmmmm.. Unless you want to tinker...

Well... Tough choices... But a lot of fun. I have 1 remington 700, 4 savages, 1 winchester model 70, and 4 tikkas. Which would I choose? Well... All of them are tack drivers minus 1 of the savages that just came from the factory refusing to shoot anything well. (Best.. 2" @ 100 yds). All the others shoot .3 to .75 at 100.

Again... Which would I choose? Depends. If you want to upgrade... Change parts, etc... It's hard to beat the remington 700. Tons of aftermarket accessories and parts so you can go hog wild accessorizing and upgrading. If you think you might like to change out your own barrels... Savage is one that you can do so yourself fairly easily. If you just want a rifle that has one of the smoothest actions around, shoots nearly everything well that you feed it and an excellent trigger... Tikka is hard to beat.

Others have recommended weatherby etc. fact is, there are so many excellently produced rifles out right now... You'd have a tough time choosing a gun that doesn't perform extremely well... Unless you just happen to get a lemon from the factory.

Try as many as you can and see what feels good in your hands. Something will appeal to you!!! Good luck and good shooting!

Research the twist rate of the models you like.

1-8 preferred.
1-9 acceptable
1-10 hmmmm.. Unless you want to tinker...

I have 8, 9, 10 and 12. wanna shoot against a 10 or a 12 twist ? they really shoot good. the 10's are sako barrels, the 12 i s a hart. barrel quality is important.

I have a Rem 700 243 varmint, shoots 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards pretty consistently. I like the 26" barrel they come with. I did beef up the forearm of the cheap SPS stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.