Want to buy a rifle in .243 caliber

I agree. I don't quite understand how Winchester seems to have been moved so far down the list by such a high percentage of shooters.
do you think the Winchester is not sexy anymore? Kinda like the 30/06. I think they are very good rifles, I don't think I would tear apart a pre '64 model that was in good shape. But I think one of the new controlled round feed actions built for long range would have a big cool factor in my book...

You shot it with a rabbit in its mouth?!

Yes! I had it mounted with the rabbit in its mouth as well.

We just had a bad snow storm and I bet she was thinking "I'm going to make it through the winter now!" Right before a 75gr Sierra varminter struck her in the back of the head.

Yes! I had it mounted with the rabbit in its mouth as well.

We just had a bad snow storm and I bet she was thinking "I'm going to make it through the winter now!" Right before a 75gr Sierra varminter struck her in the back of the head.

That's a crazy story. I guess you got two birds with one stone, or in this case a coyote and a rabbit in one shot! Hahaha.

i've had a rem 700 vls in .243win that could do half moa at 100yds consistently with handloads and an swfa 10x42, street cost about $850 sans glass/bipod. heavy barrel, laminated stock, military scope, harris bipod - well over 10# to lug around, and may not be everyone's cup of tea.

intrigued by the array of bottom feeder cheapos, i took the bite and have a ruger american in .243win and really, Really like it. yeah, ruger plagiarized the blueprint, but they took the best from the best and it shows. they have an updated american "predator" version due next month, with a "heavier" barrel and some other bling. almost all plastic stocks can be well stiffened with some rockite in the forend and in the butt stock, makes a Huge difference, particularly with a model like the ruger american that currently has no after-market stock offerings..

Last two guns I got were a Tikka 7mm-08 and a Howa in .243. Neither would shoot well...very disappointed sold them both and got a Savage Model 12 LRP in .260. Problem solved.

I have heard a lot of good things of the Winchester Model 70 now being made. Also, hear the TC has good accuracy. I have no use for a gun that does not shoot 1 moa at 100 yard five shot groups.

Savages have been good to me but with the Bmag fiasco I hope they are not headed down like Remington.

not old, definitely new, ruger american standard in .243win, swfa ss 10x42 glass, stock forend and butt have been rockite'd. :)

mKf85UD.jpg

not old, definitely new, ruger american standard in .243win, swfa ss 10x42 glass, stock forend and butt have been rockite'd. :)

I've been a little intrigued with the American. I (personally) feel the popularity of a rifle in the aftermarket will determine if the rifle lives or dies. There are inherent virtues to the American, we'll see if the public demands enough support & if the Aftermarket guru's listen.

t

I agree. I don't quite understand how Winchester seems to have been moved so far down the list by such a high percentage of shooters.

Same way that Ruger has. Guys think that round actions are the.most accurate or they are like sheep and go with what the herd tells them. I don't know. Don't want to get anyone agitated this morning.
My last 243 was an M77 mk2 VT. It took about 200 rounds for it to start shooting good. Started out at 1"+ groups after about 200 rounds it was shooting around 5/8" and was getting smaller. It really liked the 100 gr bullets.
Or I would get a Savage Edge or Axis. Now that Boyd's is making stocks for them . Fixing the trigger takes about 60 seconds and may cost a whole US dollar. My 223 Edge is the tightest grouping rifle I've ever owned. Its amazing.

mKf85UD.jpg

RFD ; what reticle do you have in your SS. I have the 10×42 mil Dot. I plan to go with the mil quad reticle on my future scopes. As it is the md is staying on the rifle its on, for a while anyway.

RFD ; what reticle do you have in your SS. I have the 10×42 mil Dot. I plan to go with the mil quad reticle on my future scopes. As it is the md is staying on the rifle its on, for a while anyway.

mil quad for all three of my swfa's - i like it lots better than a mil dot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts