.243 AI 26" Broughton Barrel First at the Range

Greg Duerr

Well I have FF my brass and shot my first loads at the Range Saturday. I was working up from 47.5gr of RL 22 and the 105gr Berger. I got my best group at 48.7 that went .526 then hit my Max of 49.0gr and shot .636

This has been a learning process for me. First time with a Ackley Case and First time shooting the Long Berger Bullets.

Its not that easy shooting under .5 as I have not gotten there yet. Im hopeful that I will, but keeping it under .5 consistently ............well that might be another story. Funny how when shooting five shot groups the last shot tends to open up my groups.
Maybe I should try three shot groups.

Will head out to the Range Saturday with some loads at 48.7 and 49.0

Seating my bullets .001 off........................I've talked to several guys that claim 1/4" groups but have yet to ever see them shoot that .........................Funny how some guys Factory Rifles shooting factory ammo all shoot .250 Seems like a popular Group size.

Last edited:
One hole also seems very popular...............that would mean a group that measures .000 Unless it really was just one hole or one shot

If one of my factory loads will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 out to 500 yards consistently I am tickled and would stop reloading. Most all of my factory rifles shoot between 1/2-3/4 MOA and I am fine with that.

My custom rifle will shoot around 1/3 MOA at 100 yards which will have all rounds touching but I have yet to get all rounds through the same exact hole.

My load is 51grs of Retumbo with a 105 Amax. My rechambered factory gun will shoot 5 in 1/2" and my Bartlein barreled gun shoots that load closer to 1/4".

85bef23f-e576-4e9a-befa-b743c04e1397_zpsb19e6d58.jpg

Here is a sample

What is your goal, just anything under .5? I think .52 and .6 for a 5 shot group is extremely good. I shoot 3 shot groups so my loads across my different calibers are always skewed compared to the 5 shot school of thought. You're correct though, a 5 shot group is more challenging, and it tells you a little bit more about your rifle and yourself.

Look over at Accurateshooter.com and find "load development at 100yds" by Eric Cortina. Read the 1st 7 pages or so and take notes. I use H-1000 in my 243AI pushing 115 DTACS at 2965ish. H-1000 will be a bit "cooler" on your barrel than the Reloader and give you a little better life. I use 49.5g out of a 27.5" barrel. The DTAC's like to be run at right around that speed so there is no reason to try to "hot-rod" it. I learned quite a bit reading that thread on a-shooter....Best of luck...Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts