243 55gr over-stabilize???

Autorotate19

The other day I read on another forum that if you shoot a 55gr bullet through a 243 with a 9.125 twist barrel that it will over-stabilize it and wont be accurate past 300 yards. Has anyone experienced this? I have a long range load for my 243 already and I want to shoot a lighter, flatter, more explosive load for coyotes and chucks out to 500.

Thanks

I have a 243 in a 24" SPS Remington. Currently shooting the 55 gr Nosler Bt at a stunning 4050 fps. Have shot it out to 500 meters with no issues. It really isn't that great for those longer shots as it drifts quite a bit even in winds less than 10 mph. I loaded those 55s for walking around varminting. I don't have to think about holdover out to 300 yds. Wacked a jackrabbit at 280 the other day. It went through the chest and exited. It will be used for coyote calling later in the season.

**** thats fast out of a 24", I have a 26" so im really excited now, just curious whats your load?

Thanks

I use H414 about the same velocity and great accuracy too. Just buy a box and try them. Don't worry about seating depth just use the book dimensions from nosler.

Its not because of over stability its more of weekness in the jackets that cause the accuracy problems. You might find that your gun loves them or you may have to back the velocities down to achieve what your looking for. But either way i have never seen many cases of to much twist being a problem that cannot be solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.