240 wby

6-06 is the way to go brass cheaper, easy to load, cheaper all the way around. Wish I had known this year's ago
Roy thought it needed the belt to sell. I have heard you can swage a belt on '06 brass and form .240 brass but don't know anyone who's actually tried it or know exactly how to go about it.

the 6mm-06 AI ( which Parker A built for me ) is my LR chuck gun- Mine shoots some 250 FPS + faster than the 240 Wby, am using a SAKO SS bull bbl in 28 in and a FN Supreme 400 SS action . Brass for any WBY is expensive and some harder to find. If I had to do it again I would go with a 244AI less powder . I was going to get a 240 WBY back then and even then brass was expensive and hard to find. LC 06 Match was all over the place then built the 6mm-06 AI & the 25-06AI and love them to this day. Now doing a 6mm XC w/ 1.75.1 twist using 105 to 115 Gr and much less powder also. My 6PPC is super with the 65-70 gr range target bullets. The 243's love the 85 Gr . I don't load for velocity , I go for accuracy . Guess one can say I like the 6mm's- still have my first one a Win model 70 Pre War 243.
Good luck with your next TOY !!

I can see why Farmin would want a fast twist, high velocity round in the Texas Panhandle, like Western Oklahoma the wind is always blowing from one direction or the other. PM sent, Farmin

I really like my .240 Wby. It is a pleasure to shoot. Ammo can be hard to come by and I am having mine rebarreled to a 1:8 twist to shoot heavier bullets. I have found Weatherby brass at Cabelas and Sportsmans lately here in the Seattle area.

My rifle is a Vanguard series with a 24" barrel and I'll be going with a 26" after the rebarrel. The current iteration with the 1:10 twist is very accurate. One trip to the range, I put 20 rounds in a roughly 0.75" radius hole at 100 yards. I really like this rifle and cartridge.

1648757051642.png

A few of the beauties of the 6-06 is better case capacity over the 240Wea, it is very simple to form by running 25-06 brass into a 6-06 die and of course much cheaper and easier to find brass. Personally, I never found much velocity improvement over my 6mmAI's vs increased throat erosion, but I did like the no fire-forming.

Here is some load data from Handloader in 2018:

1648757426188.png

weathermark LT 5.9lb I think, backcountry 5.4lb, or the Vanguard High Country(?) 7.2lb EDIT: Can't get in 240wby

Last edited:
View attachment 354618

A few of the beauties of the 6-06 is better case capacity over the 240Wea, it is very simple to form by running 25-06 brass into a 6-06 die and of course much cheaper and easier to find brass. Personally, I never found much velocity improvement over my 6mmAI's vs increased throat erosion, but I did like the no fire-forming.

Here is some load data from Handloader in 2018:

View attachment 354620
The 6mm/06 doesn't have the sharper shoulder angle of the other 2. Might have more capacity, but I'd bet that the 6mm/284 could keep up, and with less propellant. Several good sources for 6.5/284 brass these days. 6mm/284 die set is 1/2 the price of 6mm/06 die set (Redding).

I would do an ai on either the 06 case or the Robert's case. Stops brass flow in the neck in its tracks. Some folks claim better throat life but.... besides they look cool. 90% of it is how you look anyway isn't it??? Forming brass is fun too. It is a hobby you know.

I have a 240 in a WBY ultra light weight accumark and it is a great gun and fun to shoot.I have killed whitetails,antelope and hogs with mine.I would look at the Vanguard line or the Backcountry line from Weatherby.Good luck

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Weatherby Back Country Ti. Saw one today in 240 and I had to be rolled out on a dolly so I could get in my truck and go home.

P.S. It weighs 4.9lbs.

I'm a. Big Weatherby fan,and that 240 Wby. Will be great for your intended use ! Accumarks have a number 3 barrel so they are a bit heavy! If I really wanted a 240 Wby,I would. Find a used Wby Mark V in 30-06 and have it re barreled with a hart or shilen or other quality barrel, with the same contour as a Weatherby number 2 contour 26 inch barrel ,but with a 8 or 9 twist ,so you could shoot 100 Grn bullets when you want to !! Then Put it back in the. Stock and have it Pilar bedded !! Shop for 240 Wby brass ! 120 cases would be good ,180 cases would be better !! Put on a Leupold 8.5X to 25 X Windplex scope 30 mm. Main tube and off you go!! Just a. Suggestion !! That's what I would do ! Have fun with it !!

I'm a. Big Weatherby fan,and that 240 Wby. Will be great for your intended use ! Accumarks have a number 3 barrel so they are a bit heavy! If I really wanted a 240 Wby,I would. Find a used Wby Mark V in 30-06 and have it re barreled with a hart or shilen or other quality barrel, with the same contour as a Weatherby number 2 contour 26 inch barrel ,but with a 8 or 9 twist ,so you could shoot 100 Grn bullets when you want to !! Then Put it back in the. Stock and have it Pilar bedded !! Shop for 240 Wby brass ! 120 cases would be good ,180 cases would be better !! Put on a Leupold 8.5X to 25 X Windplex scope 30 mm. Main tube and off you go!! Just a. Suggestion !! That's what I would do ! Have fun with it !!
Thanks! It's going to be interesting! Lol! I can't wait to shoot it!

Make your own brass. Simply read the comments made by Dirtfarmer. Very interesting read.