240 wby

I've used the .240 Weatherby for deer for years, especially Coues deer.

The only drawback to the .240 Weatherby is the current lack of brass. I replenished my supply when Huntington's had their remaining inventory. Searching all the available resources now though is fruitless, unfortunately. Posting a 'Want Ad' in the classifieds might generate someone who has some that don't have a use for now.

Otherwise I've made a couple 6mm-06 AI and 6-284 also. The '06 version is used in a long action obviously but I use an intermediate Defiance XM action (3.200" magazine) for the 6-284.

I suggest looking for some more information regarding a few cartridges before making up your mind.

Enjoy!

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
I have a German mark v safe queen. 2500.00

With the current component shortages (240Wea brass), you may wish to look at something in the 6-06, 6mmRem AI (my favorite), 6-284 or the 243AI realm. Plenty of guns out there that can be easily re-chambered to AI, and a few for sale already in AI or 6-06.

My 6mmRemAI's with longer barrels reach near 240 vels and with less powder, and I have no trouble making shoots well in excess of 1,000. Longest medium game was over 800 with the 105's.

If your limits are below 400 as you state, then there is really no need for even the AI's. I do recommend a faster twist for using the longer VLD types for reduce wind drift, but I have taken a lot of game and varmints under 500 with standard 1/10 and 1/9 twists.

Thank you for the replies. Seems a lot of guys are favoring 6mm/06. What is a good way to get into one? I don't know of any factory rifles in that. I also don't know any one that builds rifles. Just not sure how to go about it… I am in Texas panhandle if that helps.

I have a Weatherby MK5 Lightweight 240 Wbee - I have a Leupold 6-18 x 40 scope on it - It likes the factory Barnes 85 gr TSX bullet or handloads with H4831SC and the same bullet - Will shoot those into 5/8 " 3 shot groups or less .The Barnes 80 gr TTSX shoots good too ! I tried loading Barnes 95 gr LRX BUT the 1-10 twist would NOT stabilize them and they partially keyholed at 100 yards !
Love the rifle and cartridge - Hoping to get to Wyoming soon for a Speed Goat Hunt !

Thank you for the replies. Seems a lot of guys are favoring 6mm/06. What is a good way to get into one? I don't know of any factory rifles in that. I also don't know any one that builds rifles. Just not sure how to go about it… I am in Texas panhandle if that helps.

The 6mm-06 or the Ackley Improved version are both wildcat cartridges. As such you won't find them in any factory rifles. You can find a gunsmith who might have one or both reamers but generally you will find that renting one is most expeditious.

The first 6mm-06 AI chamber I cut was with a rented reamer which came to me as NEW from 4D rentals. It cut perfect so I don't hesitate to rent from them again. Ordering your own reamer custom made nowadays can take 3 - 6 months and sometimes longer. Prices have risen for every reamer maker due to demand and cost of steel.

Amarillo, being the biggest town in the Panhandle, should have a great selection of qualified gunsmiths. I don't know of any in particular but maybe someone will respond to your query. One comes as a recommendation:

Bryant Custom (Mike Bryant)
7761 FM 592
Wheeler, TX 79096
Phone: (806) 826-5618
http://www.bryantcustom.com

Mike is a highly respected custom rifle maker and might be able to help you out.

Best of Luck!

:)

Love the 240 Weatherby!
I figured guys would try and talk you out of it. It's a fast sexy SOB!
It shoots accurate and fast, they make new brass all of the time so don't worry about that fabled issue. Mine is a West German made Mark V, when they still used the full length action. I've got a new stock on it now a Krieger 1 - 7.5 twist barrel.
Love it !!
Gary

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
I thought the same thing about buying a 240. So last Christmas my wife bought me one. I told her about a small gun store in our area that had one and wanted to get rid of it. I was excited. I have a 243 Win that shoots great but I wanted that extra velocity and the fact that I would be the only owner in our hunt club that had one. Well I've learn why that small gun store wanted rid of it. I can't find any ammo or brass anywhere. I have looked everywhere but to no avail. I have all the components to make the ammo except the brass. I actually bought dies and bullets (I have a little powder for it) two years before I got the gun. I just knew I was going to own one. But now to say I'm disheartened is an understatement. I know how you feel about the gun/caliber but good luck on finding what you need. Oh, by the way, if you find any ammo or brass please let me know. Lol!

Love my old MKV ultralight its a shooter for sure. Dont fret on brass weatherby if you call them will tell you when they are making a run of ammo or brass. I know of one store locally that has brass on the shelf right now. I didnt check price as when I bought mine I bought 500 brass so I am still loading new brass for a few more years.

Love my old MKV ultralight its a shooter for sure. Dont fret on brass weatherby if you call them will tell you when they are making a run of ammo or brass. I know of one store locally that has brass on the shelf right now. I didnt check price as when I bought mine I bought 500 brass so I am still loading new brass for a few more years.
Will they ship brass? If so, just give me the store name & number and I'll contact them. Just curious, who made the brass?

Wrong boltface. .240 Weatherby is a 6MM-06 improved with a belt. Neat case, but expensive and hard to find. You could use it with the prc case. Would have about the same capacity and performance as the .240. Might even beat it.
6-06 is the way to go brass cheaper, easy to load, cheaper all the way around. Wish I had known this year's ago