240 wby

farmin

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
You can build it on just about any long action. The R700 is more of a personal preference. My last DIY budget build is a .257 WBY on a Savage action with prefit barrel.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-257-wbty-build.276854/#post-2256378

Good luck!

Ed

Re-barrel the mesa to a lighter contour or even a carbon barrel. That would be cheaper than going to a whole new gun.

Re-barrel the mesa to a lighter contour or even a carbon barrel. That would be cheaper than going to a whole new gun.
Wrong boltface. .240 Weatherby is a 6MM-06 improved with a belt. Neat case, but expensive and hard to find. You could use it with the prc case. Would have about the same capacity and performance as the .240. Might even beat it.

Wrong boltface. .240 Weatherby is a 6MM-06 improved with a belt. Neat case, but expensive and hard to find. You could use it with the prc case. Would have about the same capacity and performance as the .240. Might even beat it.
I meant keep it a 6.5PRC since that's what he bought it for.

The issue with a factory 240 Wby is the twist rate is 1-10. You need a 1-8 twist for 105 and heavier bullets. If you are onlly going to shoot 400 yards and or do not load your own bullets then you can get by with the factory 1-10. Some people may tell you that a 1-10 will stabilize those bullets but it is not a good idea to depend upon it. I have made a number of kills on antelope at 1000 yards with a 1-8 twist 240 Wby shooting Berger 115 VLDs. Berger recommends a 1-7 twist for that bullet but I can stabiulize it.

The issue with a factory 240 Wby is the twist rate is 1-10. You need a 1-8 twist for 105 and heavier bullets. If you are onlly going to shoot 400 yards and or do not load your own bullets then you can get by with the factory 1-10. Some people may tell you that a 1-10 will stabilize those bullets but it is not a good idea to depend upon it. I have made a number of kills on antelope at 1000 yards with a 1-8 twist 240 Wby shooting Berger 115 VLDs. Berger recommends a 1-7 twist for that bullet but I can stabiulize it.
Yep!

6mm Ackley Improved. It's about as over bore as you can go in 6mm and still have any 'efficiency'. Throttle it hard and barrel life dwindles. 6mm/06 is even harder on barrels. I haven't seen any .240Wby brass or ammo since before 1-20-21,
6mm Ackley.jpg
except on GunBroker and the prices there are insane.