240 weatherby

I like mine. Yes brass is hard to find. But it can be found. Yes its a bit more expensive then making brass out of 06 but if you dont run it right at the ragged edge it holds up pretty well and its still cheaper to load then going out and buy a box of 7 rem mag. My mark V shoots just fine. Many loads go moa. If you think it tears up to much meat then youd best eliminate the 2506 270ect as they do just as bad. Its a nice light recoiling flat shooting deer rilfe that tacks on a 100 yards to what a 243 is good for. It would probably go out the door before my 257 but its a cool caliber and i plan on keeping mine.

If you want a very low recoil long range deer thumper get you a 25-06. About everybody makes them and factory ammo is easy to find in NORMAL times. I have killed hundreds of deer with about everything between a 22lr and a 45-70 and the 25-06 is one of the killingest rounds I have ever squeezed the trigger on. Most of the time it is BANG FLOP.

Got two 2506s too. Also have a 6mm rem and a 257wby. Nothing wrong with a bit of change. Nothing wrong with the 240. Biggest advantage over a 6/06 is go into your local gunshop and see what he will offer you for one. Pretty tough to sell any wildcat chambered gun unless you can find a select buyer on a forum like this
If you want a very low recoil long range deer thumper get you a 25-06. About everybody makes them and factory ammo is easy to find in NORMAL times. I have killed hundreds of deer with about everything between a 22lr and a 45-70 and the 25-06 is one of the killingest rounds I have ever squeezed the trigger on. Most of the time it is BANG FLOP.

My experience with the .240 was in a custom chambered Hart barrel w/ 1-9 twist. I hand loaded for it, bought Norma brass. The **** thing would drive nails. But, it's an idiot round. It won't do anything a good custom barreled 6mm Ackley can't do and the 6mm will do it with less of a charge. I'm a firm believer that the 6mm Ackley is about max efficent case size for the 6mm/.243s. Anything more is just a waste of powder. Been there, done that,,, don't think I'll go back again. When I toast this Ackley I'll rebarrel to the same. PS I found alot of variation in case size with the factory loaded .240,,,,,, much more than I feel I should have for Norma made cases.

Idiot cartridge? Hmmm, ok. Guess I have to disagree. There are different levels of rifle loonyism. The 240 is at one level, the Ackley takes it to the next. Nothing wrong with either, but for the guy who wants the hottest 6mm factory offering and doesn't want to, nor has the time to, jack with a custom chamber and fire forming , the 240's as good as it gets. Is substantially cheaper too. A $500.00 Vanguard vs a $1000-1500 dollar 6-Ack custom? Hmm. You can buy lots of brass and powder with the savings.

I looked real hard at the 6-Ackley, but instead opted for a 6-06. I simply don't have the extra time to fire form. My kids keep me too busy. If I didn't already have lots of 25-06 brass, I probably would've went with the 240. Plus the 6-06 brass is sooo east to make. One pass through a 6-06 die with 25-06 brass...doesn't get much easier.

A big ol' case and a 1 in 10 twist rate, not conductive to those 6mm bullets that are best for LR. I never have been satisfied with factory barrels. They're 'luck of the draw', some shoot OK, most don't, not many at all that'll keep up with a custom. And, you almost never get any choice in that all important rate of twist. Two sources of brass for the .240, both from the same maker. Like I posted earlier, I found alot of variation from lot to lot, not what I expect from 'premium' ammo/brass. That's another 'not all that good' for LR. The Ackley, like most Ackleys, is 'prairie dog' accurate fire forming cases. No loss there. No necking down before loading, like the 6mm/06, just load and shoot. To each his own. baydog asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I like mine. Yes brass is hard to find. But it can be found. Yes its a bit more expensive then making brass out of 06 but if you dont run it right at the ragged edge it holds up pretty well and its still cheaper to load then going out and buy a box of 7 rem mag. My mark V shoots just fine. Many loads go moa. If you think it tears up to much meat then youd best eliminate the 2506 270ect as they do just as bad. Its a nice light recoiling flat shooting deer rilfe that tacks on a 100 yards to what a 243 is good for. It would probably go out the door before my 257 but its a cool caliber and i plan on keeping mine.

This what i want and I think you Just sold me on the 240 .The 243 and 6mm are great guns and i like that .243 bullet and low recoil flat shooting side of them too but looking for something that will shoot a little furthter and more knock down power but still stay with smaller deer killing gun. To me the 240 weatherby is a 243 on steroids!! SOLD!!..lol:D

another buig advantage to it is you can get a new vanguard now for 600 bucks. Compare that to the 1500-2000 your going to pay for any decent custom and you can buy a a wheelbarrow full of 240 brass or probably be able to afford to shoot factory ammo for the rest of your life. Your going to pay at least what a vanguard cost just to buy the 6/06 barrel. My mark v shoots nos 85 partitions or sierra 100 grain boattails into 3/4 of an inch for 5 shots. Dont know about brass quality because i dont bother measureing something unless im having problems and thats never happened with my 240. I doubt many 6/06 shooters are getting much better with hunting bullets and in all realitiy for what either are for moa accuracy is plenty good enough. there not 600 yard deer guns or 1000 yard competitor guns. Think of what youd do with a 2506 and the same can be done with the 240.
This what i want and I think you Just sold me on the 240 .The 243 and 6mm are great guns and i like that .243 bullet and low recoil flat shooting side of them too but looking for something that will shoot a little furthter and more knock down power but still stay with smaller deer killing gun. To me the 240 weatherby is a 243 on steroids!! SOLD!!..lol:D

love my 240 wby vanguard shoot half moa & better all day long. its a good long range gun I rebarreled ir with a shaw 26 inch 1-8 twist to shoot 105 grain bullets. the 8th,9th & 10th shot out of new barrel shot .19 it likes whatever I load for it. I buy all my brass from huningtons. and yes you can make 240 wby brass from 25-06 brass. you buy a forming die from CH4D. it will put the belt right on the case. I have done it. its my backup if I could not find wby brass. emborkgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.