230 gr Berger OTM Transonic

The Berger 230 Hybrid, in a 300 win mag. is it good enough for deer at 1000 yds. will it open or just go through with out opening??

Deer meaning, Reds, Fallow and Sika.

Shoud I be looking at a different Cal. ??

Hilltop

The Berger 230 Hybrid, in a 300 win mag. is it good enough for deer at 1000 yds. will it open or just go through with out opening??

Hilltop

We have taken antelope to 750, and a few around 600 yards. Also a large muley buck at 893 yards and a Bull elk at a little over 500 in a scraming wind. Plus a couple cow elk at 400ish. I would have no problemshooting a deer at 1000 with the 230 OTM Hybrid from a 300 Win. Everything we have shot with them was done with one shot where they stood.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
As you can see I'm new to this very long range hunting. Do you have a load for this round. I can use N560 QuickLoad put it a 71.4gr.giving 2930 fps is this to much??

Hilltop

Hilltop

I haven't had personal experience but they seem pretty good on Reds out of a 300 Rum.

If you are concerned use the 208 Amax or do some tests with the 230s.

You could turn the 300win mag into a 30-375R :)

Thanks Jeff,
As you can see I'm new to this very long range hunting. Do you have a load for this round. I can use N560 QuickLoad put it a 71.4gr.giving 2930 fps is this to much??

Hilltop

Sorry, I am not familar with N560. But you can get good velocity from the 300 win. We got 2775 and at that rate it catches the 210's and 208's at 1000 and will deliver more energy and less drift.

Jeff

my load is 74 grains retumbo fed 210 match primers 230 grain otm.

215 primers make this load a tad hot. this round is sub .5 moa from my gun

velocity 2700 fps 23" barrel

Thanks for the info, do you know at what speeds the 230 berger and others open best at? will they open as low as 1500 fps or as high as 3150 fps. I am thinking of trying the 105 VLD in my 243 win ackley imp. I was told I would need to be at 200 yds + which would be about 2800 fps.

Thanks for any help I can get from every one.

Ian

I located a spot on the ranch where I can shoot 2076 yds. ...unfortunately, 1k to almost 2k is wooded creek bottom. So, it's going to be a big leap to get there.

The biggest cartridge I have is 300 Win Mag and I currently have a .5 MOA load running the Berger 230gr OTM at 2460 fps. I'm pretty sure I can push it a good bit faster or more precise. I just never had a reason to try before now.

Nonetheless, it doesn't seem like much hope of remaining supersonic the whole distance. So, has anyone tested the 230 gr OTM for extreme distance including transonic?

Or, does anyone have suggestions for pushing a 300 Win Mag this far?

On the one hand, I'm not looking for an MOA X Ring cold bore knockout. But on the other hand, I don't see much point in having projectiles tumbling all over the countryside.

Is it a waste of time trying to walk it to within a few MOA with a good bullet/load in 300 Win Mag?

Or, do I need to bite the bullet right from the start and build a 338 Edge?

...or, a big 7mm and hope the Berger 195 turns out as many hope it will?

Since this would be a fairly specialized/limited task, I'd probably just rebarrel my Savage 12 F-Class.

Thanks!
-- richard

I am experimenting with the 230 Berger but have to say once you step up to a .338 Edge (or like cartridge), won't believe the difference in hard hitting performance. You will be breaking rocks vs. just "dusting" them.

I am experimenting with the 230 Berger but have to say once you step up to a .338 Edge (or like cartridge), won't believe the difference in hard hitting performance. You will be breaking rocks vs. just "dusting" them.

unfortunately, it's all sandy loam and coastal bermuda here
no rocks to bust

although I did go ahead and build a 338 Lapua for this as well

would've gone with the Edge, but the barrel was alread chambered

haven't done the ELR shooting at this location yet because my father in-law is severely ill and we've been bailing hay and other things every weekend I can get down to the ranch

thanks!
richard

I am getting 3130 fps with the 230's out of a 30 inch barrel 300 RUM, no pressure problems. I had another rum that ran them at 3170 fps. They are wicked accurate and have 338 rum energy at 1000 yards.

That's 300 Lapua improved speeds. VERY impressive. What powder and how much of it are you using???

I was experimenting with the 230g Berger last night. I had 3 rounds loaded with various load of H1000 and shot a 3 shot group at .217". Load was pretty hot though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.