225gr eld 300wm loads needed!

pondskipper

Needing some load data for the 225eld in a 300win mag, I'm using nosler custom brass, H1000 and cci large rifle magnum primers. Gun specs are 28" finished length #8 contour broughton with 1:10 5c rifling, can load them out to a max of 3.613" oal which is .273 longer than saami specs which is touching the lands though I plan on having roughly a .020" jump which also affords way more case volume and even if I loaded into the lands it will still mag feed which is nice. Planning a range trip tomorrow and wanted to load some tonight hopefully. Also if you have load velocity, that would be nice! Thanks! James.

Ok so I decided to start loading them one at a time till I got signs of pressure and I'm at 78gr now at 2819fps and zero signs of pressure, and yes I said that correctly, 2819fps with 78gr, remember I'm not loading these to standard oal of 3.340, and apparently this nosler brass has even more internal volume than Norma which is good and bad I suppose.

Found the magic number, looks like 80gr in the nosler brass is the max at my length. Slightly heavier bolt lift than normal and a very very slight ejector plunger shiny spot on the case head, it produced 2886fps at 80gr though which isn't bad for a 300 win mag with a bullet this heavy! Time to load some at 78, 78.5, 79, and 79.5gr and and see what kind of groups I get at the range tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oh, and primers used were cci br2 standard large rifle primers and they never did flatten out completely at the edges like the federal primers I've used in the past have.

Well I found the magic number, .020" jump 79gr even of h1000 gives me 2868fps average and an extreme spread of 7! Can't complain with that one bit, as for accuracy, .320" roughly center to center for 6 shots! I've actually never had a rifle just up and shoot as good as this one does, at least not on the very first load development / range session. For the hell of it I dialed out to 1000 yds and sent a few rounds down range using the ballistic app on my phone and nailed the 18x18 steel target we have set up at 1000 yds dead center, there was no wind to speak of which made it easy. I also didn't bother correcting the BC for the bullets at that range either and left it at .777 G1 BC. I'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait to stretch it out to the mile mark!

gun)

Extremerifles.com Thanks Parish Davis!

That's awesome! Currently running the 212gn ELD-X in my .300WinMag using RL26. Weekend before last I shot a 5" group at 1200yds with it. Gotta get more/better brass as this Hornady is way too soft but I'm pushing it too hard I know.
I'm blowing primers but most go in with little effort. I have the R W Hart primer pocket swager but I'm not sure that will even help this brass!
Good luck with your .300WM. JohnnyK.

I'm not having any issues with the nosler brass at all, but it was by no means cheap either. Case prep involved opening the box, putting a primer in the primer pocket, a powder charge in and shoving a bullet in on top of it, even the necks were already chamfered. I think I had to fix one neck that was a little rolled in at the opening which I did by hand by pushing it against the expander ball in my sizing die. I'm pretty impressed with the velocity and es I'm getting especially with how heavy these bullets are. I can't wait to put them to the test at a mile or more. It will only get better from here though accuracy wise, the rifle broke the 60 round mark today and this was the first time I've done any loading this particular gun.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of your 300 win mag with the RL26 and the 212eld? I have some as well I wanted to test out to use for hunting.

Been working up a very similar load to yours and have had promising results as well.

Using virgin Nosler brass with no prep, CCI250s, 225 ELD-Ms seated at 3.670" COAL (.020 jump), and H1000.

So far I've worked up to 77.5 grains @ 2826 fps with no signs of pressure yet. ES of 6 and .43 MOA at 200.

Planning on getting out next weekend to try up to 80 grains and hoping for over 2900 fps...

Also have been working on a corresponding load with RL26 and have safely gotten just over 2900 fps, hoping to end up even faster after the barrel breaks in some. These 225s moving at that speed should be fantastic.

That was with the exact same specs as above but with 75.5 grains of RL26 instead of the H1000 fwiw

Likely the next accuracy node will end up somewhere around 79.5, and will probably put you just shy of 2900fps with h1000 if you don't have pressure signs before then. Honestly though the few extra fps may not really be worth it with that accuracy and ES, I was getting 2780 with 77gr even and was getting 1/4 moa and an es of 8fps in my gun and may very well go back to that just so save in case and barrel life but at least I know what it will do now with 79gr should I really try and stretch its legs, at 2780 they should still be supersonic to a mile at my elevation which is basically sea level, with anywhere from 75-100% humidity and usually 100 degrees outside or more in the months of July and august.

How are the primers holding up for you? If the 250s start to flatten too much try the cci br2 out, I'm having very good luck with them even though they supposedly aren't magnum primers, they don't flatten out even when the pressure gets high enough to get ejector plunger marks.

It has shot pretty consistently throughout load development.. So hopeful to find something that groups well and is just a little bit quicker for H1000. Although, at my altitude (over 5000ft) 2826 gets me well past a mile supersonic so might be chasing diminishing returns.

Thanks for the heads up on the BR2's. I've got some on the shelf but haven't tried them in this rifle. The 250s haven't shown any signs of flattening yet, even at the higher speeds of RL26.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.