224 valkyrie

backyardsniper

Does anyone have any hands on knowledge on this round. I saw it advertised and did a little research. Doesn't look like there's even brass available yet. The 90gr bullets at 2700fps looks pretty promising or even more so for me something like the 75he Amax at 2900 for coyotes and general paper punching. I would be interested to hear y'alls input.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of fancy marketing and hype. It will blow over eventually. But, only for the AR platform, I can understand where it has appeal. For a bolt-action setup, a fast-twisted .22-250 AI pushing heavies would blow it away.

I agree this is a AR platform cartridge. Not sure it makes any sense in a bolt gun.
With manufactures like JP behind the 22 Valkyrie, I believe the round is going to be successful.

Basically, everyone is still trying to dethrone the 6.5 Grendel for the AR platform, and that's going to be a ****-difficult, if not near-impossible task. I still like my 6.5 Grendel, and have zero desire to swap to a .224 Valkyrie. I also have a feeling that with being a semi-auto with a fair bit of powder stuffed behind a small diameter bullet, and folks rapid-firing the overbore cartridge, that barrel life will suffer some compared to the Grendel.

I'm going to have one of these, not a big AR guy but a 224 made for heavies in an AR platform just does it!!! It'll be my new truck/coyote/wolf gun!

Agree with you mudrunner.
Love my JP Grendels. But I have 2 of them. I been thinking to rebarrel one of them to 224V. Then I get to thinking, the 224V doesn't have a ballistic advantage over the Grendel until 400 yards. If I got a shot like that to make on a coyote, I'm pulling the 6 creedmoor.

I'm going to have one of these, not a big AR guy but a 224 made for heavies in an AR platform just does it!!! It'll be my new truck/coyote/wolf gun!
Compared to the .223/5.56, absolutely it will be a HUGE step-up in performance, and from a hunting perspective, it will be a massive improvement over the .223. But at $20-$25 a box versus $6 a box Lake City XM193 or XM855 is going to be hard to stomach for plinking. As for reloading, once brass is bought, it should still cost about 2x what it costs for 5.56, for the heavier high BC bullets compared to bulk 77gr Nosler CC's and with the greater powder capacity, it will use more powder. But even at 2x the cost of 5.56, that's still relatively cheap to load for.

I can't help but think it would be so much better as a 6mm. Much like the grendel in 6mm AR turbo. 6.5 grendel necked down and improved.
The Valkyrie has kinda been done it's called a .22 dti by dtech. Not exactly the same but very close.

I've been torn on what to build an AR to, the 224 V will fill my need for a whitetail gun, I gotta start shooting more of them soon and this is just the ticket, Crux suppressor on the end and a mag full of Berger's, it's happiness!!

So if it pushes a 90gr .224 round at 2700 it should push a 90gr 6mm faster or a 105 6mm slightly slower. That would be hard to beat and be useful for deer.

So if it pushes a 90gr .224 round at 2700 it should push a 90gr 6mm faster or a 105 6mm slightly slower. That would be hard to beat and be useful for deer.
Yep, I thought the same thing when they first announced it. My guess is they stuck with 1:7 twist .224 barrels so they could rechamber their current barrel blanks so they won't lose any money when they release it, and barrel manufacturers only have to buy reamers, and no extra tooling.

I'm thinking the 75 elf may be the sweet spot for this cartridge. It has a .476bc compared to the .506 I think it is in the 90gr. If you can drive it close to 3000fps the numbers look a lot better I believe than the 90 at 2700. I'm going by the 75 tmj that federal is advertising at 3000fps

LaRue and Federal are debuting the cartridge. so we can expect more rifles chambered in this round over the next year. But seriously... 6.5 grendel is a fabulous choice all around and steel

I jumped on the 22 Nosler platform just before the Valkyrie was announced. I had some regret about that until I actually got to shoot my AR with the 22 Nosler barrel attached. I used a 20" Proof barrel (with the cam gas porting) on an existing JP (.223) upper I had.

The results are great so far. Excellent accuracy, under 1/2" & closer to averaging 1/4" with the factory 77 grain cartridges. Speed is just under what Nosler published for this load on the Lab Radar.

Not as much regret now, however I'm still looking at the Valkyrie as another option. Then I think - Is another 3 - 13 grains of bullet weight really needed for what I'll use the 22 Nosler for. Probably not, however it's nice to have options.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.