224 Valkyrie?

Is this cartridge the new big dog of long range?From what federal has posted in their site it even out preforms the 6.5 creedmoor. Im obviously not very informed on this round ,but does anyone have any thoughts on it? Could this cartridge give the 6.5 a run for it's money?

Is this cartridge the new big dog of long range?From what federal has posted in their site it even out preforms the 6.5 creedmoor. Im obviously not very informed on this round ,but does anyone have any thoughts on it? Could this cartridge give the 6.5 a run for it's money?
Absolutely not. A 90 smk at 2700 fps will not come close to a 147 eld @ 2700 fps

I will say this about the .224 Valkyrie... It would be a fun gun to have in a bolt action rifle with about a 16-20" threaded heavy barrel with a can on the end.

I wish Remington would build a 700 5R Milspec GenII with a 20" 5R rifled 1:8 twist barrel with 5/8x24 threads, chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I'd buy one tomorrow if they announced it today. That would be an awesome deer/coyote rifle, and LR steel shooter.

This video was made about 5 hours ago... I haven't watched it yet, but this should give some good info about the .224 Valkyrie.

I've always wanted a fast twist 22 cal, would probably stick with 22-250 because of the amount of brass I have if I ever do, but in terms of coyote hunting a 6mm slinging 108 eldm bullets surpasses any 22 cal in terms of flat trajectory/minimal wind drift in my opinion. The 22 cal heavies don't have high enough bc to compete. Comparing it to a 6.5 creed, no way. If it shot a 90gr bullet at 3k, then it might have the advantage inside of 400-500 yds

I've always wanted a fast twist 22 cal, would probably stick with 22-250 because of the amount of brass I have if I ever do, but in terms of coyote hunting a 6mm slinging 108 eldm bullets surpasses any 22 cal in terms of flat trajectory/minimal wind drift in my opinion. The 22 cal heavies don't have high enough bc to compete. Comparing it to a 6.5 creed, no way. If it shot a 90gr bullet at 3k, then it might have the advantage inside of 400-500 yds

My dad has a 1:7 twist 22-250 Ackley that he just built. Waiting for deer season to be over to stretch her legs out.

Not even close for a Big Game cartridge in most States, even the parent case the 6.5 Grendel is better suited for Big Game hunting. It would however make a fast .224 for coyotes or smaller game IMO.

This stuff was done decades ago.... The Clarke and the original 223 Valkyrie (aka 22/284) were even faster. The Clarke was based off the 257 Roberts blown out and had a sharp shoulder. It held about 55 grains of powder, five less then the original Valkyrie which was based of the .284 Win. Clark was ahead of his time, and a Wildcatter. Hornady had made him some streamlined 80 gr. soft points, but back in the 1950's shooters interest was too low for it to take hold. Years later in 1992 JLK 70-75-80 VLD with Clarks ideas in mind.

It's still cool, but like most Big Name Companies why take something that was already out there as a wildcat, change the case, steal the name but only change the designation in front of it to .224?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.