223 wssm

cavtrooper94

I am far from a gunsmith so I'm asking you guys. What if a guy had a 223 Remington 700P with a 26 inch barrel. Could you re chamber the barrel to 223 WSSM and use the 1:9 twist barrel to launch 70 gr VLD's? Just wandering.

I am far from a gunsmith so I'm asking you guys. What if a guy had a 223 Remington 700P with a 26 inch barrel. Could you re chamber the barrel to 223 WSSM and use the 1:9 twist barrel to launch 70 gr VLD's? Just wandering.

Good question.

I am in the middle of an experiment using the 223 WSSM .

My goal was to exceed 4400 ft/sec so the twist I chose was a 1 in 15.

The 223 WSSM should push the 70 gr bullet around 3500 ft/sec so I would think
a 1 in 10 would be about right.

But if you go to a fast twist you may have trouble with lighter bullets over rotating.

Kirby did a lot of testing with heaver bullets and should be able to shed some light
on your question.

So far the 1 in 15 has worked well with up to 64 gr bullets @ 3922 ft/sec and a SD
of 06, The 40 gr Ballistic Tip has reached 4318 ft/sec with no pressure signs and
accuracy is under 1/2 MOA (I hope it will end up better than that).

J E CUSTOM

The 223 WSSM is very fun and awesome. I bought one as soon as they came out, a little earlier actually, but I don't know why they havn't caught on more. My OOTB Browning will cloverleaf 52 gr BTHP and shoots up to a 65 grain bullet fairly decent. I believe it has a 1:10 twist, which is why I thought the 1:9 would be better for the 70gr VLD.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.