223 with nine twist

savagelover

putting my old rifle back together for 300 and 500 yard f class...what are the heavy bullet that might be successful to use in it..this is a sav mod 10 and will be fed single shot only..thanks

savagelover,

Contrary to what I was told would work I tried my own thing and discovered some things don't always go the way others think they should. When I had a heavy barrel 26" Savage .223 9" twist I ran clear up to Sierra 80 grainers out to 724 yards. My longest kill on a rock was with the Hornady A- Max 75 grainer. It entered the rump and exited below the chin at 527 yards. The most accurate bullet was Nosler Ballistic Tip 55 grain.

I did a primer test with this rifle. If you want I will post the results. They were surprising and enlightening.

I shot Hornaday 68 grain bthp in mine, very accurate. My buddy has one for a trainer for PRS shooting. I have shot his with 77 grain Sierra and Nosler C.C. very well out to 700 yards on steel. I like to put it on paper at that distance because it seemed to group well on steel.

I shot Hornaday 68 grain bthp in mine, very accurate. My buddy has one for a trainer for PRS shooting. I have shot his with 77 grain Sierra and Nosler C.C. very well out to 700 yards on steel. I like to put it on paper at that distance because it seemed to group well on steel.

I too run the 68's out of my 1-9. They have always shot great.

t

Come to think of it. The same load I run, is used in 3 other .223's all in 1-9 twist. They all shoot it well under MOA.

t

This is what I use mine for and routinely shoot it out to 800 yards, after that it falls off pretty quick. It's surprising consistent at that range, wind is hell on it though.

Never tried shooting anything heavier because these shot so well, though I've heard many success stories about much heavier in Savage 9 twists.

appreciate your replies...I think I have some of the bullets you have mentioned,,,what oal are you running...I found with the 69 sierra that excellent at the book oal...

I have a couple 9 twist 223's I would guess you can run up to 75's and Berger has a twist calculator on their site.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.