.223 1/10" twist

jpbaker

Quick question about a .223 with 1/10" twist.

It currently loves 40gr. JHP (sub 1/2 MOA, if im doing my part)

But im looking to load something a bit heaver. I was considering 62gr tsx or ttsx for tough game and 55gr vmax (moly) for yotes and such.

I have done alot of research, but have a hard time finding info for twist rates, if anyone can enlighten me I would like to know a bit about weight that work well in a 1/10" twist. Oh! BTW, its a 20" savage barrel.

TKS
JPB

But im looking to load something a bit heaver. I was considering 62gr tsx or ttsx for tough game and 55gr vmax (moly) for yotes and such.

I have done alot of research, but have a hard time finding info for twist rates, if anyone can enlighten me I would like to know a bit about weight that work well in a 1/10" twist. Oh! BTW, its a 20" savage barrel.

TKS
JPB

For a 1/10 the general range is 40-60 grains. The 1-9 will extend it up to 70 grains, and the 1-8 will stabilize the 75s and possibly th 80s.

I have a 1/10 too and I'd say a 60 grain soft point or Vmax is about as big of a bullet as you'll be able to stabilize, and I can almost guarantee you won't be able to stabilize the 62 TTSX, for a 62 it's too long for a 1/10.

The 55 TSX or the 50 TTSX are your best bet. Mine loves most bullets in the 45 to 55 grain range. Barnes has twist rate info for their bullets on their website.

JPB,

The 1x10" should work well with everything up to and including the 69s with no problem. The 1x10" is actuallty what I used to use for all the accuracy testing with 69s, reserving the faster 1x8" twist barrels for 77s and 80s.

On the flip side (as you've discovered) the light weight bullets will also work just fine in a faster twist than they truly "need". The 1x10" is a good choice for the 223 Rem, since it will give you a really generous range of bullet weight options for whatever you might want to use it for.

TKS
JPB
I use 55GR Vmax and works great. My rifle has the same twist and it doesn't like 62GR or above.