223 1-7 twist

I have not found 77gr STMKs for a year and a half. Hornady 75gr ELDMs shoot just as well and are easily found. My 8 twist barrels like them so that is what I use. 77gr Nosler Custom Competition are very accurate but I use them on rock chucks and they just pencil through. The tipped bullets come apart and anchor the chucks when hit.

26" Wilson 1/7 twist 223AI running the 85.5gr Berger @ 2950fps using RL-17. Yes, RL-17. Wish I would have taken a picture, but shot a group at 652yrds in 16.5mph winds a couple days ago that measured just a tad over 2". Best bullet so far in that barrel

OP doesn't mention his shooting platform. But if it is an AR, weight is not the sole criteria for bullet selection. Length of bullet comes into play with the hevier .22 cal bullets. The AR magazine cannot acommodate some of the longer bullets out there. Either powder capacity will limit how deep you can seat the bullet, or the ojive of some bullets will be below the rim of the case in order to fit in the magazine. Regular rifles do not have this issue.

OP doesn't mention his shooting platform. But if it is an AR, weight is not the sole criteria for bullet selection. Length of bullet comes into play with the hevier .22 cal bullets. The AR magazine cannot acommodate some of the longer bullets out there. Either powder capacity will limit how deep you can seat the bullet, or the ojive of some bullets will be below the rim of the case in order to fit in the magazine. Regular rifles do not have this issue.
Isn't the rim the part of the case that is below the extractor groove?

Our Coyote RRA 20" 1:8 shoots 65-69 gr well. Have not gone heavier.

We also have a .223 SBR 9.25" barrel in 1:7. Have not really tested too much-just a CCW and truck gun.
Have some 77 SMK & Hornady 75gr BTHP that need to try just in case see a hog on the side of the road.

Recent Posts