223 Rem. Loads

Typo ^^ I believe. Benchmark has worked great for me with 50-55 grain bullets and is good for most bullet weight in 223. I couldn't get CFE 223 to group with any bullet yet.
IMR 3031 is another good powder for most bullet weight in 223 but temperature sensitive if that bothers you.
I love my Benchmark for 50-55 too. It's my go to.

Very interesting thread! So much have to ask. I have an AR 24" 1-8, bull barrel. Heavy! Just like to hear a good bullet/powder recommendation. My place I can only shoot to 600. Not really hunting, but would shoot at raccoons or coyotes if I see them
Midway had Speer 50 grain varmint bullets on sale couple of days ago for $9.95 hundred. If you're looking to just shoot coyotes and raccoon. Try theses. They are very good bullets without paying $$$. They are very accurate also.

Midway had Speer 50 grain varmint bullets on sale couple of days ago for $9.95 hundred. If you're looking to just shoot coyotes and raccoon. Try theses. They are very good bullets without paying $$$. They are very accurate also.
Thanks! I have a lot of the under 60 grn. It's the heavier ones I lack and the powders of course. Have the primers. I do have varget. Didn't intend to hijak...I am good now...back to the OP

Last edited:
Boy you guys have given me alot of things to try, and who ever said some things to buy! Lol I just got the gun broke in as I brought it new. The oal I have tried are starting at 2.260 to 2.305 and have kept the barrel good and clean. The Varget I tried starting at 23.6 to 24.5gr and it did fairly good but I may be expect a little too much to soon as I just got it broke in good. I have had great results with Varget in my 243win w/70gr BlitzKings and was expecting somewhat the same with the 223. I haven't given up on the Varget just yet. But with what you guys have given me if the Varget doesn't work out I have a good bit of things to try. I have gotten some good information here on this form in the past and wanted to see what folks had the best luck with. Now there is more fun to be had with this information and for that I thank you guys. My last work up was with a 6mm xc, which I got some good info here. But the XC came a good deal quicker, but form what I read that's the XC mo. Thanks again guys.

Boy you guys have given me alot of things to try, and who ever said some things to buy! Lol I just got the gun broke in as I brought it new. The oal I have tried are starting at 2.260 to 2.305 and have kept the barrel good and clean. The Varget I tried starting at 23.6 to 24.5gr and it did fairly good but I may be expect a little too much to soon as I just got it broke in good. I have had great results with Varget in my 243win w/70gr BlitzKings and was expecting somewhat the same with the 223. I haven't given up on the Varget just yet. But with what you guys have given me if the Varget doesn't work out I have a good bit of things to try. I have gotten some good information here on this form in the past and wanted to see what folks had the best luck with. Now there is more fun to be had with this information and for that I thank you guys. My last work up was with a 6mm xc, which I got some good info here. But the XC came a good deal quicker, but form what I read that's the XC mo. Thanks again guys.
And down the rabbit hole you go.....

Looking for some loading help please. I picked a 223 rem. in 1-8 twist bolt action And I'm looking to find some loads for Seirra 69gr hp & 77gr hp. I tried both with Varget and they preformed ok but not great. I have both H335 & CFE223 coming, and would be thankful if anyone would share some pet loads with these two powders and also your coal. Or if think I would be better served with another powder. Thank you in advance for you help.
What are you actually trying to do and what is your barrel length? I have 20 and 24 inch match grade SS barrels. I've tried about 10 powders. IMO because the 223 case design you are kind of limited to max of 75 grain. Buy a Valkrie if you want to shoot heavies.

H335 is dirty and I never use it. StaBall Match, Alliant 2000-mr, and leverevolution. I worked up H414 and ram shot big game to some success.

COAL is actually determined by your chamber. I keep my rounds in a cooler for bench rest shooting on hot days and never worry about temp sens. I've found that the most accurate loads are not at max powder loads, but underloaded somewhat.

It's a 24" barrel, if the 69gr don't work out I will try some 52 & 55gr. I also have some Staball Match & RL15 to work from. Along with VihtaVuori n140 & n150 and around half of the powders fellow member recommended. As I'm not dead set on heavy stuff as I have a Hart barreled 243 win build coming this fall in 1-12 twist which should work well up to 85grs. And a 6 xc that loves 107gr Sierra & 108gr Bergers. So I got it covered. Just looking on paper I thought the 69grs would work in my 1-8 twist 223 rem. So I'll run with what gun leads me too. That's where I find the most enjoyment anyway, learning what this new gun is wanting and building upon that.

Recent Posts