223 Rem. Loads

I've had great accuracy with 25.0 CFE223 69 SMK COL of 2.355 Velocity is 2993 with a SD of 6.5.

Had this load out PD hunting in 110 degree heat and no excessive pressure signs IN MY GUN . I did notice that it seemed to show more carbon fouling than a load that I used in my other .223 with AA2230 powder.

could you describe your rifle (barrel)? Exactly what type of accuracy are you seeing?
Savage 12 with 26 " barrel. 5 shot groups around 1/4 inch the best group I ever shot was .17 ,but there was probably a lot of shaking at the right time.Those groups were at 100 yards. Never measured at 600, but still hitting sod poodles consistently.

Savage 12 with 26 " barrel. 5 shot groups around 1/4 inch the best group I ever shot was .17 ,but there was probably a lot of shaking at the right time.Those groups were at 100 yards. Never measured at 600, but still hitting sod poodles consistently.
So, it just quit shooting like that? Sounds like a solid rig.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

It will be tough to beat Varget under an SMK 69 or 77.

Spherical powders are known for their ease of use through powder drops in progressive presses. Don't get me wrong, their accuracy is good, but there is a reason folks still prefer an extruded powder with temperature stability being a good reason. Ball powders do okay, but they are not the equivalent of the extruded powders.

I run H335 and CFE223, but I use it for bulk loading prairie dog ammo where the focus is usually under 450 yards in 40 grain VMax loads. I have to anticipate and compensate those for the temp swings I get in prairie dog country during the summer.

The Sierra 69 and 77 SMK and TMK are more along the lines of XTC ammo at mag length for the 200, 300 yard lines. Most folks single feed a SMK 80 for the 600 yard line.

Part way down the page on that link, you will see the Sierra Manual pages, one for bolt and one for AR. In addition to Varget, N140, RE-15 and ARComp are popular and have been around for a long time.

Not sure why you were not happy with Varget, but could it be expectations are different?
Tell us what you loaded and maybe a little about your process and results. You may be just fine, or you may be off someplace, but there is a whole world of load recipes out there for 223/556 and that may not be helpful.

I was trying H335 with a 50 gr V-max and got good results but I found it to be really dirty to clean up. Have you found H335 to be dirty?

I'm current using N-133 and getting good results with this powder and the 50 gr V-max.

Very interesting thread! So much have to ask. I have an AR 24" 1-8, bull barrel. Heavy! Just like to hear a good bullet/powder recommendation. My place I can only shoot to 600. Not really hunting, but would shoot at raccoons or coyotes if I see them

You might try Acc2520 with the Sierra 77gr it's great, I use it for my M262 Mod1 OTM clone load. The other is N150... my LR .223 Rem loves it with Sierra 80gr Mk's. Good luck Cheers

You might try Acc2520 with the Sierra 77gr it's great, I use it for my M262 Mod1 OTM clone load. The other is N150... my LR .223 Rem loves it with Sierra 80gr Mk's. Good luck Cheers
Guess I'll have to go shopping.

Recent Posts