.223 for general varminting

from my 2cents worth savage heavy tube and ammo hornady until you reload great combo
wink.gif

I've been investigating the heavier bullets for coyotes for about 2 seasons now out of an AR .223 AI, 26" 1:9 twist Hart barrel, and so far i've found the 69 gr. Nosler Comp. does pretty well out to around 500 or so.

Lots of great info!

I am still looking for the gun, I have decited the .223 will be the way to go after all the info. Thanks!

I am currently watching the local shops,if they dont get somthing in soon I am going to drive a little farther to find what I am looking for.

When I get my new coyote setup I will post what I got. Thanks again all for all your
help!

Rob
smile.gif

Maybe a .220 swift would be a good choice. You can get it in the savage. Im no expert but im guessing you would gain some range and power over the .223 with the swift
smile.gif

pahunter--you are correct, but you also gain component cost (brass and powder) and you get less than half the bore life.

BTW you can always run a 223 ackley reamer in your chamber if you get tired with a straight 223 -- with that you can "hunt form" the brass--that is fireform cases whilst shooting at furry critters
wink.gif

JB

I just wanted to add a few words about the CZ: I own 2, 1st is a 452 in 17 HMR and the 2nd is a 527 in 222 rem. I just love both of them. They are the American series and I'm thinking of getting the 527 Varmint in 17 Remington. They shoot just as good if not better than my M70 22-250 and my Rem. 700 BDL 22-250. Just make sure if you get one that you put a scope of equal quality and value on it. You can't hit what you can't see!!!!!! Good luck...Dave

I shoot a Winchester HV70 .223 26" barrel, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scope.

I also have shot a lot of prairie dogs with a "self-custom built" ar15 (.223), DPMS components. 20" stainless bull barrel 1:9 twist, hard chromed bolt group. Incredible accuracy from this rifle.

My favorite varmint bullets are Barnes varminators, 50 & 60 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.