Making semi custom varminting gun for same price as budget gun

I'm not being harsh, just being honest....

You think it is going to be cheaper to build a semi custom/custom rifle cheaper than buying a budget rifle? I don't care where you are from, that is unrealistic at best.

Your best bet is to find a rifle in your budget and cross your fingers that it shoots. Or if you have a rifle already, invest your money in the basic reloading gear and make it shoot.

Good luck,
Steve

It would assist us if you tell us what is available where you are. If there are a bunch of rifles you can't get, the suggestions are not going to help. Can I assume a lot of British firearms, Parker-Hale and BSA?

I don't have any idea what rifles you have to start with or what calibers you have to choose from in Namibia . So I have to ask what are your options for a starter to build from

Savage in 223. I don't like accutrigger but it's ok. Scope choice will help. 1" @ 100 means you could shoot field rats at 200. Most savage rifles will shoot 1" with good ammo, very economically

Ruger American. These are very accurate rifles right out of the box. You can not beat this rifle or the Savage 110 for the money and the accuracy they provide. Good luck with your purchase, whatever you buy.
I have a Ruger american predator 16" in 5.56. It shoots .375moa with black hills 77gr OTM. If You are at 200yds and under as you stated, get a flat base projectile ( which always seem to be easier to find a load for) in the 50 to 60gr weight and find a good load, You should be 3/4moa or less.

The most accurate factory rifle I have owned was a savage 10 FLCP-K in .223, consistently half moa with 69 smk's over varget. I sold it to my cousin but get to shoot it often and still load for it. It's just frustrating that a rifle that cheap can shoot so well.

Are there hunting preserves around? That's where I would look for rifles probably.

Then see if you can get Boyd's or another wood stock company to ship to you. If you can do a little sanding and wood finishing, you can get rid of a flexible budget stock. If you can work with two part epoxy and a release agent, you can do a bedding job too.

I like cheap Savage rifles with the Accutrigger because it can be set pretty light with some spring work. Some other rifles don't have good triggers available or a good trigger costs a lot (if you can get it).

The answer to your question is entirely dependent on what you can get and very few people from Europe or America have any idea what it takes to buy a rifle or rifle parts in Africa.

None of the shops here have it at the moment and given the exchange rate being the super weak it'll prob be more than 900 new.

Yes unfortunately i dont have many options to buy from here and online would not be possible.
can you recommended an economical barrel. The only problem i have with the budget rifles is that it seems to be rather hit or miss whether its going to be a moa gun or based om reviews ive seen. Many people also seem ti recommend replacing the factory stock as as rhe synthetics are flimsy and ive seen people have trouble with magazine build quality on them and im not sure how or if it even can befixed

Sorry, please take no offense but we are literally recommending blindly here because we do not know what is readily available for you in Namibia in terms of parts, how you are going to acquire it, or how you are going to put it together (DIY vs gunsmith). It is hard to provide a doable recommendation on a build, too many uncertainties, assumptions, and restrictions.

Do you have a local shooting group or forum, friend or fellow hunter/shooter, gunsmith, or something/someone that may share the same interest as yours that you can ping for information?

Good luck!

As I see it , under stand it , the regulations on U. S. manufactures of fire arms and parts exports to some other countries has gotten rather stringent since 9-11 . Some countries also have very stringent import regulations concerning fire arms and fire arms parts . So as stated before We here in the United States really don't know what you have available to you for such an under taking . By your laws and our laws we may be breaking laws by even giving advice to you on the assembly of firearms . I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors .

If you can get the Savage "Prarie Dog" model 10 varmint, its a tach driver. They probably changed the name. Mine was from Cabelas for $350 this time of year.
With any factory rifle I have learned to take it down and properly torque everything before you even start. Adjust the Accutrigger, get a couple boxes of cheap bullets and go spend a day at the range shooting and cleaning.

then get down to business. Mine shoot's 5 shot groups in on hole with Hornady bulk spiral points. It will shoot anything 62 grains or less under .6"

Hi im very new so try not to be to harsh also let me know if this is the wrong place to be posting this. The problem is i have very tight budget and I would like to get a gun for varminting (223 because of ammo cost) with decent accuracy lets say 1 moa or less preferably. It is not easy where i live as guns get really expensive eg a remington 783 varmint laminate is sold here for 966u$.I was wondering if its possible to make a budget semi or fully custom rifle for less than 900u$. It doesn't have to be the lightest or have the best trigger but i would like to varmint out atleast 200. If this is a far fetched feel free to tell me. I would like to get a tikka but they're out of budget at 1085-1450u$.
not gonna happen for a Semi Custom. Savage or even T/C Venture.
Like DOLCH said.
Strip it down, retorque everything. Tune the trigger.
Get yourself some ammo and go break it in.
I bought a T/C Venture .204 as an experiment and I topped it with a 5x20x44 Vortex Viper, just to see if I could get it to shoot near as good as my .223AI
Long story short....It'll shoot 1/2" or better if I do my part. (hand loads)
Now, It's not near as nice as my Semi-Custom .223AI, and don't shot quite as good either.
But it was $1,800 cheaper. And gets the job done!
The T/C was $459.00 and if I remember correctly the scope was around $400.00
The Savage is a wee bit cheaper and a better shooter IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.