223 for Deer

Ive killed good whitetails with a 221 fireball. I have NEVER lost any deer or NEVER had a inhumane dispatch with either the 221 fireball or any of my 223 rem or wssm calibers. Both my boys have extensive use of all the firearms mentioned above in our back pasture target shooting. I feel confident in there use of any of those calibers on deer size game for I have made them aware of PROPER shot placement. As it is important with any caliber no matter whos behind the trigger. Trust me when I say the rifle knows no different if its MY son or ME squeezing off the trigger.

done it for 20 years. Never lost an animal. went to the bigger calibers to get out past 300. my experience with the Barnes was exactly like those posted pics. Back when bullet construction was different I neck and head shot. Those that theorize need to re-examine the pictures. It is not a fluke. They are real, they show obvious evidence that they work incredible. I have shot 100s of animals with the little 22. I personally would reccomend the tsx. Not everyone can pull of a neck and head shot. I have shot many with the 70 grain tsx. Had better results than any .243 exit wound I have ever seen. I have made many a believer with results. Just because someone theorizes it shouldn't be done doesn't make it fact. Look at the evidence and make your own assumption. Please remember we also theorized the world was once flat as well. evidence proved that otherwise. I doubt there are many hold outs who say otherwise to that. Look at evidence not a guess or feeling.

I've killed 2 deer with my Savage 110 .223 and it did better than I'd have guessed. Both deer were shot through the lungs at about 30 yards. They both ran about 25-30 yards and crashed. I've had deer do that with a .308, muzzle loaders and and a 8mm Mauser. The load I used was actually a varmint load. I used a 55 gr. Sierra Spitzer loaded to about 3100.

I don't want to have to track an animal after I shoot it. I want it to drop where it stands when i break the shot. What works for me may not work for someone else.
I have never hunted large animals with anything smaller than a .308 Winchester. Therefore I don't have enough experience to say I would or would not hunt large animals with a .223 here in the south west. What I do know is that my .308 hits like a hammer and if I put the bullet where it needs to go, that animal isn't going far if it doesn't drop on a dime. What caliber you use is personal preference to the extent the law in your area will allow. JUST MAKE SURE YOU BRING ENOUGH GUN!!

Shot placement is key no matter what. U want to c one drop in its tracks neck shoot him with a 223

I think the .223 is just fine for a deer, but like with any caliber its about placement, My brother in law is a game warden, and he told me all the poachers use is 22lr and 22wmr guns becuase they are quiet, and will kill. so if a .22lr is enough for a whitetail doe and the .22wmr is enough for a buck a .223 sure as heck is. will a .223 drop a deer in its tracks? occasionally, wil a 150gr .308? occasionally? how about a 400gr arrow? occasionally, basically its the shot not the bullet, a bad shot with a .308 isnt any better or worse than a bad shot with a .223. just watch all those hunting shows that run 24/7 maybe every 10th deer drops in its tracks regardless of what is used.

As far as the round for .223 hunting i would use a softpoint, not a vmax just a lead nose, i cant remember who in the post said it but the vmax poly tip rouds do tend to "splash" on the surface great for varmint hunting or home defense. but i wouldnt go for a deer with one. My 1-9 twist Bushmaster will shoot 69gr ammo all day ive gone out to 650yds with it, but my heavy pull factory trigger and 16" barrel starts to let me down, honestly its kinds squiffy at 500yds in wind with that 16" barrel

I don't want to have to track an animal after I shoot it. I want it to drop where it stands when i break the shot. What works for me may not work for someone else.

If your deer drop on a dime your shots are on the money, in the heart good shooting, if your consistently dropping em where they stand, i think a sharp stick is all you need.

A 223 is more than enough for Mule Deer as I found out last week. We had a young hunter using one in our group and I loaded the ammo for him. Used a 53 grain Barnes triple shock just so it would smash through bone. Had a pass through, connecting with the spine. The bullet was powered by imr8208 at about 3100fps, shot was around 125yards.

Second from the tree

montana2011008.jpg

Actually your last sentence is way off base, so you better read up on things. An arrow, when placed in the heart/lung area where it is designed, kills by bleeding and shutting down the cardiovascular system. That's why it takes a short time for the animal to expire. A bullet generally kills by hydrostatic shock to the major systems of the body and IS basically killing exactly the way you say it doesn't.

I think you should read up on things. people have been arguing over temporary cavity vs permanent cavity scince bullets hit the battlefield, Ever hear of the Thompson Lagarde tests? they wanted to know the "mechanics" of bullet wounds, and both positions were suppourted in the end, so Basically it is opinion, but i will guess you shoot a .45 and think a 9mm is "wussy" and heavy slow bullets are better than fast light ones.

TOPGUN 30-06 "a deer will stand there like being stung like a bee? after being shot by an arrow?

will you send me some of what you are smokin?
ive never ever seen a deer take an arrow or even be missed by an arrow and just stand there, they react IMEDIATELY to the snap of the bow, and normally flinch just before the arrow hits because an arrow isnt supersonic, carefully watch HD footage of bow hunts, you will see how they react to an arrow sticking out of them or most often passing through them. and really look at the occasionall misses that send them truckin just like a gunshot does.

Last edited:
I used my 20" rockriver last year to prove a point. I'm a former Marine, the reason I mentioned this is because I've seen Iraqis get shot several times and get back up. The point is, shot placement. I killed a 550 lbs hog, dropped his *** at 200 yards, following him was a 145 lbs doe. I dropped her as well, she wasn't dead but I shot her in the upper rib cage. It's all about shot placement and good ammo. Now will I do ot again this year? Probably not. I prefer my savage .308 or my 700 for those half-mile shots.
But it can be done.

The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer

There are a bunch of good videos on the net that show how effective a 223 Remington 55 grain soft point is too if you are interested. They expand to 55 claiber, exit the off side, and are very effective.

Do yourself a favor and read the above post and watch some videos if you think the 223 isn't enough gun for deer hunting. In my state most of the farmers carry them while picking corn. I would be willing to bet more deer have been killed with the 223 than the 30-06. People just don't talk about it.

More deer killed with a .223 than a 30-06! Maybe illegally at night! Please pass the pipe as what you're smoking must be some real good stuff, LOL!!!

TOPGUN 30-06 "a deer will stand there like being stung like a bee? after being shot by an arrow?

will you send me some of what you are smokin?
ive never ever seen a deer take an arrow or even be missed by an arrow and just stand there, they react IMEDIATELY to the snap of the bow, and normally flinch just before the arrow hits because an arrow isnt supersonic, carefully watch HD footage of bow hunts, you will see how they react to an arrow sticking out of them or most often passing through them. and really look at the occasionall misses that send them truckin just like a gunshot does.

This is not about bow hunting and not to start an argument but I have bow hunted for over 40
years and have seen 4 or 5 deer not move after a well placed arrow completely passed through
them. and even an Elk shot with a 30/378 did not move and finally dropped . stranger things will
happen,

The controversy over should you or shouldn't you use a 223 for deer will never be settled
because it is a matter of opinion and just because some do, others wont.

I have seen deer killed with a 17 HMR. if the shot presents its self it is very possible but be
prepared to track the animal unless a head shot is made or a cartrige is large enough to
deliver enough energy to bring down the animal with a chest shot.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.