220 Swift Improved Questions

Alucard

Hey Everyone,

I am interested in getting my .220 Swift rechambered into one of the .220 Swift Improved variaties. I just have a few questions about them.

Which is the best Improved version of the .220 Swift? Or is there just the one?

What kind of velocities can you generally expect using a 55 grn bullet and up? What barrel length is optimum with an Improved version? Generally speaking, what kind of barrel life can you reasonably expect? Keeping in mind proper break-in techniques and a regular cleaning schedule and keeping the heat to a minimum.

What kind of accuracy can you generally expect? About how much more powder does the Improved version use over the standard .220?

Brass life compared to the standard?

Is there a noticable amount of reciol increase? I am not afraid of recoil, just wondering about a muzzle break.

Thanks for any info on this!

Sorry, have no info about this.

BUT, why not a 6br? Or 6br Imp. It shoots a 55 grain bullet at 3800fps, (4000fps in Imp/Dasher), and barrel life is around 4000 rounds.

The BC the .22 and .243 bullets are basicly the same.

But, if you shoot the 75-80grain A-max, around 3300fps(??) you will have a very potent rifle, but wont last very long.

Alcurd
-go-with-a-regular-220-Swift.-The-regular-220-Swift-will-be-perfect-and-shoot-everything-fast.-If-you-go-with-a-220-Swift-Improved-you-are-going-to-have-to-do-a-lot-of-brass-work-up-and-fire-forming.-By-the-time-you-get-all-your-brass-fire-formed-your-barrel-will-be-close-to-burned-out.-The-220-Swift-Improved-will-not-give-you-that-much-of-advantage-over-the-regular-220-Swift.

If-you-want-to-shoot-the-50grn-to-55grn-bullets-fast-go-with-a-6mm-Remington-243-6BR-no-fire-forming-better-barrel-life-ect.

The-220-Swift-is-an-awesome-22-caliber-chambering-and-is-the-KING-of-the-22-caliber-Varmint-rifles.-Trust-me-stick-with-a-regular-220-Swift-you-will-be-much-happier.-Also-if-your-going-to-have-one-built-use-a-28"-barrel.-This-will-give-you-the-higher-velocities-your-looking-for.-I-am-shooting-a-40grn-V-Max-at-4200fps-and-it's-devastating-on-varmints-I-have-shot-the-40grn-V-Max-at-much-higher-Velocities-but-I-begin-to-lose-accuracy.-My-Swift-shoots-in-the-high-.1's-and-low-.2's-with-the-40grn-V-Max-and-at-4200fps-it-is-absolutely-destructive-on-varmints.

Here-is-a-picture-of-my-220-Swift-It-is-the-Rifle-at-the-top-with-the-McMillan-A-4-and-Speedy-sleeved-Remington-Action.-The-other-rifle-is-my-tightneck-6x284-with-A-5-Nesika-Model-K-Action-ect.-Here-are-the-specs-on-the-220-Swift;

1.-Speedy-Sleeved-Remington-700-Short-Action
2.-McMillan-A-4-Stock
3.-Lilja-28"-1-14-twist-1.250-tapered-to-.930-at-muzzle
4.-Holland-Muzzle-Brake
5.-Jewel-2oz-trigger
6.-Speedy-base
7.-Kelby-30mm-Rings
8.-Nightforce-5.5x22x56mm-NXS
DSC00801.jpg

Good-luck-on-your-choice-your-goin-to-love-your-Swift-and-when-you-are-shooting-with-your-buddies-who-have-223's-and-22-250-they-will-wish-they-went-with-the-220-Swift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

get the 220 swift i shoot mine alot. its cold in my area so the barrel never heats up. but i think im at 1500 rounds still going good bullets are seating a little far out there now but shoot good. if you shoot any steel targets watch out it will eat them up.

Alucard,

If you shoot with any kind of Volume you better have your smith chamber a few barrels at once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All kidding aside I agree with others as to the suggestion of the 6mm Rem, or the 6br. Less powder with the 6br and I have yet to see one that will not shoot in the .3's

The only "improved" Swift, that I ever fooled with, is the Wilson Arrow. Very slight shoulder angle change that was supposed to eliminate case stretch. I never saw any real advantage over the original Swift.

Wildcat, are those hyphens really needed?

If you are going to get a .220 Swift, then it makes sense to get an improved version... not because of the speed, but because of the case life.

The Ackley or Wilson versions are popular, but get a version that you can get good dies for.

The reason is that the Swift, because of the 21 degree shoulder, is a notorious case stretcher, and the sharp shoulder of any of the improved versions will give you a MUCH improved case life.

Contrary to what the "Hyphen King" said, you will not burn up a barrel forming cases - use light charges of fast burning powder with cheap bullets and you can form a bunch in an afternoon.

As to the increase speed - don't waist your time, the main advantage is case life... load it around standard Swift velocities and you will get long case life, and longer barrel life than you would with the standard Swift.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I guess I will stick with my regular version for now. I have shot quite a bit of the regular .220 Swifts through this barrel - I would think about 2000 rounds or so by now - and was thinking if I am rechambering, maybe I could get alittle more speed out it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I think I will stick with the regular version. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.