22 Cal's legal in WYO

how in the he** can you say or do you know that you never hit one in the jaw when it runs away and leaves no blood trail? Answer---no way in he** do you know that it was a miss in those circumstances when it doesn't drop at the shot and that's why you're full of it!!! Go away please and don't come back with more bs trying to tell me that you routinely take those kind of shots and that it hasn't happened!

this is my last post on this subject ..if you hit any animal in the jaw at any distance ,,you will know it.i have very powerfull scopes that let me see the wiskers on his chin. Your insulting rants ,are going to cause you high blood pressure and that is a bad thing...if you have been serious in all your post i feel bad ,,,if not i hope you learned just one thing ,,there are people out here who can do what they say they can do and dont disrespect others such as you do.that is not what this site is about.

:rolleyes:This site is certainly not about espousing taking "wish and a prayer" long head shots and you don't need to worry about my blood pressure as it's fine! FYI I've been more than serious in every post about your stupid long head shot comments! I don't give a rip how high powered your scopes are and the statements you keep making are the ones that are actually insulting to anyone that has hunted any length of time (60 years in my case) because they are absolutely ridiculous. If any animal runs off with a blown up jaw because it moved as you attempted your low percentage brain shot, there is no way you're going to track and recover that animal even if you suspect you hit it. No way, no how!!! You just don't get it about respecting the animals you are hunting to do what you're doing and saying a lot of other people do it is childish and pure BS! I hope that was your last post because you're making an *** of yourself, but it seems as though you intimated the other one was too and then you came back with more incorrect, assinine crappolla! I hope you've noticed that nobody has come to your defense on this thread after you started your yapping on the 22 calibers and was taken to task on it and now this LR head shot BS is even worse because you haven't got a clue on it just because you can hit a hanging golf ball at distance once in a while!!! Hopefully this thread will die right here and nobody else will think what you're stating is anything but BS!

This a message to all the real long range shooters and hunters on this site.when this (22 cal legal in wy) started like others i said i feel the shot can be made in the vitals by probably the majority of long range hunters on this site..i dont believe the majority of the public should take it.i also strongly believe that if the animal is the one you want and the head shot is your only shot take it or pass.
Even though there was only one other post that said they take head shots but prefers vital shots i know there are many long range shooters on this site that do exactly that and do it cleanly and efficiently...more than anything this is a - l o n g r a n g e - hunting site .up until this post i have never had this happen ..
So this to every long range hunter/shooter on this site.if i have offended or misrepresented any or all of the shooters on this site i do appoligize to everyone and other than topgun i would like you to post just that...thanks pete

Wow I have missed quite the conversation on here since I started this thread. Never thought it would come to this. No matter how accomplished a person is with a rifle and no matter how big his scope is does not elude the fact that the attempting of head shots on any big game animal at longer ranges, is an un ethical decision. I have shot animals in the head but they usually are in the bovine and equine category because they are injured or old and all from close range. You guys should know better than to provoke someone who makes such claims on here as just that, claims. Unfortunately none of us can prevent other dummies from taking such types of shots as we have all seen "that guy" (extreme included) stick his chest out and talk of only taking neck or head shots to "save meat" or just to let you know they are such a bad ***. Usually if they ever do make such a shot and it works, they are so nervous they are aiming at the shoulder or taking a full rear shot and flinch and hit the head or neck. So lets just leave it at that, you all know you won't attempt such a shot and we will leave the trick shots to the professionals because people are going to attempt this stuff anyway. Over and Out.

Well I see, even though two posts ago he said he was done, that our LR head shooter has been back again to make a bigger *** of himself and I see it only took a few minutes for Elkhunter1983 to put him in the dumper where he belongs, LOL! Thank you for responding so quickly Sir, and I hope all those LR head shooters he mentioned come on here, but I doubt that it will happen because they just aren't out there like he thinks.

wow i have missed quite the conversation on here since i started this thread. Never thought it would come to this. No matter how accomplished a person is with a rifle and no matter how big his scope is does not elude the fact that the attempting of head shots on any big game animal at longer ranges, is an un ethical decision. I have shot animals in the head but they usually are in the bovine and equine category because they are injured or old and all from close range. You guys should know better than to provoke someone who makes such claims on here as just that, claims. Unfortunately none of us can prevent other dummies from taking such types of shots as we have all seen "that guy" (extreme included) stick his chest out and talk of only taking neck or head shots to "save meat" or just to let you know they are such a bad ***. Usually if they ever do make such a shot and it works, they are so nervous they are aiming at the shoulder or taking a full rear shot and flinch and hit the head or neck. So lets just leave it at that, you all know you won't attempt such a shot and we will leave the trick shots to the professionals because people are going to attempt this stuff anyway. Over and out.

i said that because of the 22 cal. Being used ..other than that i prefer the high shoulder shot ,like shawn and others do
with anything other than a 22 cal. Call me what you want but i can and i do practice all the time for just that shot.it,s no different than shooting prairie dogs at that distance..the bad *** claim is uncalled for.every man should know his limits and i do.

"it's no different than shooting prairie dogs at that distance.."

Ah, but it is totally different, so you're wrong there too! If you miss a little bitty prairie dog, it's either a miss or if you're a little low you'll still blow him in half! When you miss the brain on a big game animal there is a lot more area that bullet can hit and do terrible wounding that results in a miserable, lingering death that does not allow a followup after the shot. You just don't get it that no matter how good you are on targets that it's not the same thing when an animal can move it's head at any time and even if it didn't it's still an irresponsible, unethical shot with any caliber!!! I guess you've noticed that NOBODY has come to your defense after you called for help!

I have taken several white tails in mich with my .223, using 45 gn varmit loads a side lung shot is devasting, bullet explodes in chest cavity, deer go down on the spot ! the other is a middle neck shot, again they drop. using 55 grn fmj the bullet holds together and the deer will run with little or no blood trail,,, I have recovered all so far, I did bean a doe at 80 yards between the eyes,, she got up a minute later and tried to stagger away, followup lung shot stopped her cold, Head shot went below the brain thru sinus cavity and missed spine,,,, no more head shots after that. the FMJ is a poor choice and has been replaced with 50 gn HP,s I guess for my next trip west I will be carrying 60+ gn rounds in my AR, still carrying my .308 to.
I guess in average hands the 223 or 22-250 is a marginal round, close shots at water holes or short rang ambush shots only, I dont think I would try a 300 yard shot with my 223.

Solohunter---You may want to edit your post because you are admitting that you violated the law in that FMJ bullets ARE NOT LEGAL for hunting up here in MI and most other states!!!

"it's no different than shooting prairie dogs at that distance.."

ah, but it is totally different, so you're wrong there too! If you miss a little bitty prairie dog, it's either a miss or if you're a little low you'll still blow him in half! When you miss the brain on a big game animal there is a lot more area that bullet can hit and do terrible wounding that results in a miserable, lingering death that does not allow a followup after the shot. You just don't get it that no matter how good you are on targets that it's not the same thing when an animal can move it's head at any time and even if it didn't it's still an irresponsible, unethical shot with any caliber!!! I guess you've noticed that nobody has come to your defense after you called for help!

there was no call for help,if anyone needs help it is you old man.i said i know what i can do with every rifle i own ..the fact that nobody answered proves nothing ,there on here there just quite.
Are you ever going to let this thing die ..what you call unethical is
normal for me ..never lost a animal ,,,ever...whatever i shot i killed cleanly. One last thing..there is nothing you can say,,that can cause me any more pain then i suffer from lung cancer from agent orange from my tour in nam in 1969 /1970 every day. So go away once and for all.my daily struggles are enough..iam on this site to learn not to be made a fool of.

"..iam on this site to learn not to be made a fool of"

Then maybe you should quit posting and STFU!!! You are the one who keeps coming back for more and you **** sure did ask for help from anyone who would back you up on your head shooting BS and didn't get any!!! Now you seem to be relying on sympathy for doing a tour in Nam and being sick. Listen Booby, I'm sorry for you ills, but I also did my three years during Nam too and you're still making an *** of yourself and the one who keeps coming back for more, LOL! Again I'll tell you I don't care how good you can shoot because it doesn't make a **** bit of difference and you just don't get it!!! Now if you would use just a little bit of common sense YOU would not post any more on this thread and you won't make a fool of yourself any more because it's you that's doing it to yourself, not me!!! Here was your best quote of all, LOL:
"what you call unethical is normal for me !!! lightbulb:cool:

Long range head shots aren't my cup o' tea. And we really shouldn't call it a head shot as much of the head simply isn't a killing shot. We should more correctly refer to these as brain shots and, in my reality, that target is simply too dynamic for consistent long range work regardless of calibre.

I have very little experience with deer and speed goats using .22 centerfire cartridges but I'd opt for the traditional bullet placement if I were to do so. I don't foresee dramatic troubles with the new calibre allowances but time will surely tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.