22 250ai suppressed barrel length??

travis74

Have a 1 in 7.7 twist barrel getting put on and trying to figure out what length. Gonna shoot 75-88 grain bullets whatever shoots best. With suppressor what length do u think?

What are you planning on doing with the rifle? Targets, chasing coyotes? How long is your suppressor?

My 22-250 AI is 22" and I'm getting a comfy 3150 fps with the 88 ELDM and RL-23. I have an eight inch can and feel like 22" is the longest I'd want to go.

What are you planning on doing with the rifle? Targets, chasing coyotes? How long is your suppressor?

My 22-250 AI is 22" and I'm getting a comfy 3150 fps with the 88 ELDM and RL-23. I have an eight inch can and feel like 22" is the longest I'd want to go.
My can is a little over 8". Mostly hunting but targets as well. Want to go 20" but dont want to loose performance

I just worked up a load in a friends 22-250AI. 18" Brux on a kelby action. With Varget and 70gr bergers it shot really well at 3250fps on the low end and 3425fps top end.

We loaded them up at 3250 but you could run them higher.

It's always a balancing act when deciding barrel length, especially when you want to run a can. Any time you castrate the barrel length, you will lose performance. How much you lose is up to you.

For me, in your situation, I wouldn't go below 22". If i'm building a hot rod, I want hot rod performance. After all these years, I'm still a velocity snob. :cool:

However, it's not my call to make. As you see, the replies are anywhere from 18" and up. If it was just range duty, easy call @ 26". But if you're out beating thru the bush after coyotes or whatever, a 26" barrel with an 8" can might be a PITA.

Perhaps a few more gents will chime in with their barrel length suppressed with real world data to help you decide where you need to be.

t

If you are hunting, i would even consider 18". Not going to be that much noticeable difference in performance vs having and unwieldy gun to lug around. I have 18-22" barrels for hunting and really prefer the 18's lately, and this is with 6-6.25" suppressors. If its more open country maybe the 22" wouldn't be as annoying but walking through thick woods it sure is nice with the 18"

@sierracharlie338 The guys at O'Neil Ops are hard core. All of those rifles were built by LRI in Sturgis, SD & I believe there are a few versions now. James has another video overviewing their 22-250s in detail, it might be worth a look.

t

If you are hunting, i would even consider 18". Not going to be that much noticeable difference in performance vs having and unwieldy gun to lug around. I have 18-22" barrels for hunting and really prefer the 18's lately, and this is with 6-6.25" suppressors. If its more open country maybe the 22" wouldn't be as annoying but walking through thick woods it sure is nice with the 18"

Your statement is great backup to what I was saying. Each person has to choose what works for them. Out here in the flat nothing of the eastern plains of Wyoming, there aren't any thick woods; just sage brush 😅. A barrel >18" is just fine. In PA, I can definitely see where the extra length would be a detriment.

t

@sierracharlie338 The guys at O'Neil Ops are hard core. All of those rifles were built by LRI in Sturgis, SD & I believe there are a few versions now. James has another video overviewing their 22-250s in detail, it might be worth a look.

t
Yep been watching their stuff for a long time and have had Chad and his guys build me two different rifles. Top quality IMO.

Personally,.. I'm SKIPPING, the .22-250 ai and going with,.. the .22 CREEDMOOR !
LOTS of Good, Brass Choices, now ( NO more, Fireforming ! ) and,.. it does, the exact same, thing, plus,.. it Feed's,.. BETTER !
IT's the NEW, Modern 2023, "Way" to, go !
I'm going, 23-24", Braked, 1-9 Twist and shoot, the 60 and 69 grain, Sierra, TMK's,.. FAST !
IF, wanting MORE go with, 1-8 twist and shoot, the 75 ELD-M's

Last edited:
Personally,.. I'm SKIPPING, the .22-250 ai and going with,.. the .22 CREEDMOOR !
LOTS of Good, Brass Choices, now ( NO more, Fireforming ! ) and,.. it does, the exact same, thing, plus,.. it Feed's,.. BETTER !
IT's the NEW, Modern 2023, "Way" to, go !
I'm going, 23-24", Braked, 1-9 Twist and shoot, the 60 and 69 grain, Sierra, TMK's,.. FAST !
IF, wanting MORE go with, 1-8 twist and shoot, the 75 ELD-M's
I would do an 8 twist for sure, that will shoot anything a 9 twist will as good or better and still be able to run the heavies if needed. I was able to run 88's in a 8 twist 22 creed. New barrel on order is 7...