22-250AI Barrel Suggestions

I do appreciate the offer on the barrel but the 700 barrel won't get me anywhere with the different thread pitch.

I'd talk with X-Caliber as well. If you're not in a hurry about once a quarter they offer a 25% off their barrels. However, I doubt they'd make a Remage barrel for a 788 but it never hurts to ask.

I'd talk to your gunsmith and see what they say about using your fired brass as a go gauge for setting the headspace.

Nothing says that a 'new' .22/250 AI chamber will be compatible with brass that you already have! A Shilen Match barrel blank @ around $300 (including shipping), and a fit & chamber job for under $300 would be my choice. Shilen offers a 7.5 twist in .224, which is what I'd think you'd want for a 88g length bullet. I'd say from my own practical experience that 800yds + with any .22CF is pretty optimistic. I'll go ahead and point out that I have several clients that are using 1-7 twist barrels with excellent results shooting 55g bullets. So, that 'tight' twist doesn't completely rule out the 'lighter' bullets.
I concur with 1-7 twist as I have several 22-250 Ackley Improved guns that shoot extremely good groups with 55-80 grain bullets (some have they same point of impact at 100 yards with these range of bullets) Schneider barrels out of Payson ,Az are great as are Shilen Match grade barrels out of Ennis, Texas- our Shilen is 1-8 twist but works great at our elevation. Brass used is mostly Lapua with some Nosler brass that I had on hand previous to the Lapua . Just my 2 cents

I really like the look of the .22-250 AI and have thought about building one. A good friend tells me they're real hard on throats, though. Anyone have thoughts on whether or not this caliber burns through barrels faster than the normal .22-250?

I've been thinking about doing a 22-250AI for quite a while and was kind of stuck on what OEM action to work off of. I had one years ago on a Parker Hale 22-250 rechambered by an old German gunsmith and I just loved it, all the brass etc still here. I have been running through threads here and other sites but this is my first post asking about it and only second post on the site in 4 years.

I've decided to use a 788 in .308 I have sitting but never use. I've measured everything and the magazine will allow me to run 88's with room to spare with the round seated so that the top of the boatail is even with the bottom of the neck. My goal is to shoot out to 800 and possibly a little more at a few places so upper 60's and higher will be the bullet weight of choice. I plan on clambering then playing with the throat length and working it out starting with the lower bullets to high. It will be a project for me to play with and if I end up going to far I will set it back and go to what I liked best.

I believe a 1-8" twist is where I want to be but really haven't decided on the barrel maker and length. This will be a play and hunting rifle so dont know that I really want to go 26" or more. If I do go 26" I think I will have room to set it back if not happy with what I have done. I'm not concerned with triggers as I have already learned to address that by modifying the original as well as a couple of aftermarket triggers sitting here. Stock wise I have a style I really like and have built several so I'm covered there as well.

Im really not interested in talking about a Creed, Valkrye or anything else, nothing wrong with them but just not what I want. I like the Ackley as factory ammo always shoots good but I do reload so not an issue. If anyone has a suggestion on a moderately priced barrel I would love to hear it. Also if you have strong opposition to the 788 action but I am familiar with it and think it can do everything I want. I'm not opposed to a prefit barrel and have even thought about a Remage barrel to run both a fast and medium twist barrel easily, just not sure what companies build for the 788. As I said its a project and so dont mind doing the work myself. I can build the stock to fit the barrel nut if going that route.
I've attached a picture of my ammo dimensions as well as mag and loaded round.
Thanks for any help and I love the info on this site.View attachment 249158View attachment 249161
I've done two X-Calber prefits one on a Savage 10 action and chassis in 22 Creedmoor 88gr ELDX 3/8" 5 shot at 100 and the other prefit went on a Tikka T3 action in a carbon stock in 25 Creedmoor 131gr Blackjack bullets 1/2" rifle. I really like them great quality easy clean up during break in . Fact is I just order 2 more prefits and one that goes to a rifle builder for chambering. I highly recommend them.

I'll second (or third, or whatever) x-caliber. I have a straight 22-250 in a pencil thin barrel from them, and it shoots one hole at 100 yards with 75 grain ELD bullets. And that was with about 22 rounds on the barrel for load work up from brand new. I have been seriously impressed with it. Also had good luck with criterion barrels, but just not quite the same "easy button" experience as this x-caliber barrel has been.

Love the concept of a lightweight, almost no recoil, easy to carry .22 that can whack varmints as far as I can see them!

I've decided to use a 788 in .308 I have sitting but never use. I've measured everything and the magazine will allow me to run 88's with room to spare with the round seated so that the top of the boatail is even with the bottom of the neck. My goal is to shoot out to 800 and possibly a little more at a few places so upper 60's and higher will be the bullet weight of choice. I plan on clambering then playing with the throat length and working it out starting with the lower bullets to high. It will be a project for me to play with and if I end up going to far I will set it back and go to what I liked best.

I've built quite a few different things on the 788 .. like those little actions. Using the "long" action, .308 will work out well. The original 22-250 in a 788 was considered a "short" action using a shorter bolt and magazine.

Im really not interested in talking about a Creed, Valkrye or anything else, nothing wrong with them but just not what I want. I like the Ackley as factory ammo always shoots good but I do reload so not an issue. If anyone has a suggestion on a moderately priced barrel I would love to hear it. Also if you have strong opposition to the 788 action but I am familiar with it and think it can do everything I want. I'm not opposed to a prefit barrel and have even thought about a Remage barrel to run both a fast and medium twist barrel easily, just not sure what companies build for the 788. As I said its a project and so dont mind doing the work myself. I can build the stock to fit the barrel nut if going that route.
Thanks for any help and I love the info on this site

I have had really good performance from the Wilson Barrels provided by https://raggedholebarrels.net/collections/wilson-barrels There is a limited choice in contours, all are stainless.

Remington 788, 6MM Rem AI
IMG_5455.JPG

Nice looking stock, carlbobh. Where did you get it?

That is the factory stock .. with black mesquite tips .. I've had really good luck with the later year birch stocks on the 788's having tons of figure.. I do a one pass red mahogany stain and top it with tung oil. Example picture of pre 78 stocks against later 79+ stock (in back). This stock was used on a 7-08 build.

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

got a little crazy on the other one and did the bolt handle with mesquite insert. Wanted a little more handle.
IMG_7126.JPG

I've been thinking about doing a 22-250AI for quite a while and was kind of stuck on what OEM action to work off of. I had one years ago on a Parker Hale 22-250 rechambered by an old German gunsmith and I just loved it, all the brass etc still here. I have been running through threads here and other sites but this is my first post asking about it and only second post on the site in 4 years.

I believe a 1-8" twist is where I want to be but really haven't decided on the barrel maker and length. This will be a play and hunting rifle so dont know that I really want to go 26" or more. If I do go 26" I think I will have room to set it back if not happy with what I have done. I'm not concerned with triggers as I have already learned to address that by modifying the original as well as a couple of aftermarket triggers sitting here. Stock wise I have a style I really like and have built several so I'm covered there as well.

Thanks for any help and I love the info on this site.View attachment 249158View attachment 249161
Green Mountain barrels have the nicest rifling of all my different stock and custom barrels using a expensive bore scope. My Douglas XX 22-250 AI shot great, Shaw did the same but Green Mountain for my Savage was a one hole all the time, and the easiest to clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.